Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so brand new to the Subaru world and was wondering what oil I should use... It's a semi modded motor and the dealership said to run rotella t6 and I checked that oil and it says it's for diesel motors????? Is there something I'm missing

·
Super Moderator
10,941 Posts
Hi so brand new to the Subaru world and was wondering what oil I should use... It's a semi modded motor and the dealership said to run rotella t6 and I checked that oil and it says it's for diesel motors????? Is there something I'm missing
Nope. T6 is pretty good. Although the newer stuff isn't as good as it was, however for your uses it's still great.

Motul, Pennzoil, as well as many others make suitable oil.

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
I used to use nothing but Rotella T6. However with the new formula change and advice from my tuner I switched to Motul X-Cess 5w40. Motul is on the expensive side. But it is one of the best oils out there.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,589 Posts
I switched to Motul because Rotella does not have an instruction sticker in my language. Motul does. I don't read the instructions beyond the first use, but I find it encouraging that Motul follows regulations whereas the Rotella is made for a more limited market and as such does not have the labeling with which I am happiest.

However, either will do fine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
AmazonBasics Full Synthetic Motor Oil (SN Plus, dexos1-Gen2) - 5W-30 - 5 Quart - AM0D533Q https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C5FF8R5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_j1wNCb4KX2C82

I've been a Mobil 1 user most of the time until I caught wind of Amazon's motor oil because of their new SN Plus rating, which further aids in knock reduction. 38k miles strong and loving it.

I have been looking at this too, waiting for some long term reviews to come out.
I use either Royal Purple or Penziol Eurospec. Both in 5w-30 as noted on the spec for the ej motor.

When I ran Rotella T6 5w-40 i noticed the car consumed more oil between changes...and we all know EJ motors love them some oil.

·
Super Moderator
10,941 Posts
I have been looking at this too, waiting for some long term reviews to come out.
I use either Royal Purple or Penziol Eurospec. Both in 5w-30 as noted on the spec for the ej motor.

When I ran Rotella T6 5w-40 i noticed the car consumed more oil between changes...and we all know EJ motors love them some oil.
Interesting. The heavier weight at temperature should mean it consumes far less.

·
Registered
66 Posts
XJman, thats what one of the mechanics at my dealer said when I tried it. Depending on driving habits, I use anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 a quart of oil every 1000 or so miles. If I spend much time about 5k rpms that may jump.

Rotella was seeing 1/2 at 1k, even just normal highway/city mix.

I am only stage 1 Cobb ots mod, so nothing wild.

·
Super Moderator
10,941 Posts
XJman, thats what one of the mechanics at my dealer said when I tried it. Depending on driving habits, I use anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 a quart of oil every 1000 or so miles. If I spend much time about 5k rpms that may jump.

Rotella was seeing 1/2 at 1k, even just normal highway/city mix.

I am only stage 1 Cobb ots mod, so nothing wild.
It just makes zero sense. Oil loss happens as oil squeezes theough tiny areas and out of the engine. Either by combustion or evaporation. Thicker oil prevents both of these more than a thinner weight oil.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just saw today that Subaru has a known issue on the GR motors with ringlands and engine failure due to improper oiling...my vin is one of those included in the production time frame. Key indicators are increased oil use and power loss. Both of which I have been noticing...time to call the steelership!

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
Just saw today that Subaru has a known issue on the GR motors with ringlands and engine failure due to improper oiling...my vin is one of those included in the production time frame. Key indicators are increased oil use and power loss. Both of which I have been noticing...time to call the steelership!
Good luck! My STi falls under this lawsuit as well. In the paperwork I received though it clearly states that any modifications or flashes of the ecu will result in the vehicle not being covered.....

So mine is getting built. It leaves May 16th to andrewtech for a full rebuild with a new closed deck shortblock.

Keep us posted on what the dealership says and if you car gets fixed via the lawsuit.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Good luck! My STi falls under this lawsuit as well. In the paperwork I received though it clearly states that any modifications or flashes of the ecu will result in the vehicle not being covered.....

So mine is getting built. It leaves May 16th to andrewtech for a full rebuild with a new closed deck shortblock.

Keep us posted on what the dealership says and if you car gets fixed via the lawsuit.

My dealer had no idea about the lawsuit. I called subaru of america and they scheduled an oil consumption test? I have no idea if that will tell them what they want to know.

·
Super Moderator
10,941 Posts
My dealer had no idea about the lawsuit. I called subaru of america and they scheduled an oil consumption test? I have no idea if that will tell them what they want to know.
They will tell you what ever it is is normal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
They will tell you what ever it is is normal.

Any advice on proving it is not normal? I have SOA involved in this now. They are paying for the consumption test.

·
Super Moderator
10,941 Posts
That I don't. You can try searching here and nasioc to see if anyone had posted any advice or results that were considered not normal. In my time here most of the responses I've seen are 1 quart per thousand miles is normal. I personally think that's absurd

·
Registered
66 Posts
That I don't. You can try searching here and nasioc to see if anyone had posted any advice or results that were considered not normal. In my time here most of the responses I've seen are 1 quart per thousand miles is normal. I personally think that's absurd

Same, hopefull SOA will buck up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts