ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm in the middle of replacing the uppipe on my 04. I litterally have every nut and bolt off and ready to go to lift the engine (I'm using a mix of the Perrin, Vinush and 04 service manual for instructions and guidelines) to drop the uppipe. But I'm stuck at getting the passenger side engine mount loose.

I know it's torqued on there pretty good, but I've been pulling on this thing for over an hour and no movement. I've sprayed it with Liquid Wrench before i started, but I'm exhausted now and have sprayed it again and will leave it till tomorrow now.

Question, am I going about loosening the bolt wrong? The actual nut is on the top side in the frame so it is a PITA to get at. Can i use the bolt head on the underside instead? or would i risk shearing the bolt head?

also, should it be humanly possible to get this thing off? (Not saying I'm a wimping but this thing isn't moving compared to everything else I've had to take off....)

thanks

Jared

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Been thinking about taking off the passenger side wheel and going in via the 02 sensor access panel with a breaker bar to loosen the nut. Any one else ever done this?

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Sometimes when you are looking at things upside down it is easy to go the wrong direction.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good points about the backwards direction. I thought about that for a while and made sure i was going the right way.

I ended up taking the turbo out. So that freed up enough room to get the up pipe out. Unfortunately in doing that i snapped a little air hose that runs from the intake just after the MAF sensor. I didn't have any hose the same dimention but a larger one that i put over the hose.. kinda of patch work....

short story, idles like crap now, almost stalls once it warms up and idles... Also over heats...

I think the idling is probably associated to that air hose, not sure about the heating. If i can't figure it out i might have to go the dealership...

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Can you post a pic if which hose snapped? I'm assuming its off of the turbo inlet hose? Excess intake air after MAF (from the leak in your turbo inlet hose) could definitely be the cause of that rough idle. IF its the vent line from your BCS, you can just plug it on the inlet hose and vent the air hose from the solenoid to the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Make sure your coolant is burped and no leaks at the turbo.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
I have to ask, what bolt were you trying to turn? The bolt for the engine mount faces downward and cannot spin because it's part of the mount. You just lay underneath it and take the nut off. Once the nut is off you can jack up under the engine and lift the bolt out of the hole.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya I was trying to get the nut off not the bolt. I'm done now though but thanks for replying.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Make sure your coolant is burped and no leaks at the turbo.
I looked up how to prime the turbo I just removed the ignition fuse kicked it over then turned it on. But only once the hose to the waste gate was fixed the coolant didn't get sucked in.... Don't worry I didn't run to long with that broken hose just a minute and realized something was wrong. I doubt it damaged the turbo.

Definitely have a sooner spool up my boost gauge is moving way faster then before. It's kinda like driving a new car. Also stinks a bit.... But I haven't washed the engine yet so that could just be stuff burning off ie. Coolant, liquid wrench :)

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
I have to ask, what bolt were you trying to turn? The bolt for the engine mount faces downward and cannot spin because it's part of the mount. You just lay underneath it and take the nut off. Once the nut is off you can jack up under the engine and lift the bolt out of the hole.
hahahaha yes this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts