ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So im new to the forum and have a quick question for ya. I've searched all the forums and for the most part have found my answer. However, I just need a straight no BS answer. My setup (well its my wife's car) consists of a completely stock 08 WRX with a straight 3in cat back exhaust and my wife just installed a Turbo XS 50/50 BOV. Before she installed the BOV the car sounds amazing, no complaint with that. Now that she has installed the BOV we're getting a backfire at the lower end of the shift. She doesn't like the backfire and personally I dont mind it. I am just wondering if this is a major issue that will cause engine problems down the line or if a simple tune will fix this issue. We are saving up for a CAI and from what I have read and heard you must get a tune after installing a CAI. Any info will be appreciated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey guys,

So im new to the forum and have a quick question for ya. I've searched all the forums and for the most part have found my answer. However, I just need a straight no BS answer. My setup (well its my wife's car) consists of a completely stock 08 WRX with a straight 3in cat back exhaust and my wife just installed a Turbo XS 50/50 BOV. Before she installed the BOV the car sounds amazing, no complaint with that. Now that she has installed the BOV we're getting a backfire at the lower end of the shift. She doesn't like the backfire and personally I dont mind it. I am just wondering if this is a major issue that will cause engine problems down the line or if a simple tune will fix this issue. We are saving up for a CAI and from what I have read and heard you must get a tune after installing a CAI. Any info will be appreciated.
You are running too rich because the engine thinks there is more air than there really. Your BOV is after the MAF and is venting the air your car thinks is in there. Not having the correct air to fuel ratio will cause problems including backfiring and improper combustion which can blow up your engine. It sounds cool but make the wifey happy and take it off. You will need a tune for the CAI. If you dont want to pay for a protune after every mod invest in a Cobb AP. It will benefit your stock car and they make OTS maps for the AEM and Cobb intakes.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Is the valve properly setup/adjusted?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as the valve being properly adjusted, we just took it out of the package and installed it. I know it came with washers to make adjustments. But I'm not sure what it needs to me adjusted to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay so I just read that the reason the vehicle runs rich when using an atmospheric or a 50/50 is because the MAF is reading the air before the BOV and when it looses the air it compensates for the loss and makes the vehicle run rich.... Now, is is possible to relocate the MAF to after the BOV so it reads the actual A/F mixture?

I guess I just dont understand why a lot of other subarus in my town run BOV and I dont hear them backfiring.... :soapbox:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Its really not a big deal if it runs rich because its only while you shift for a split second. I have been running my greddy bov on my bugeye for 3yrs and in that 3 I racked over 100,000 miles...no issues here at all

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
toss the BOV, not particularly good for the car, not necessary in any way, and in my opinion they make good cars sound quite gaudy. just my opinion though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts