Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got my car back today! :D

now the bad news... while i was driving around the check engine light, which was on before the accident (from overboosting), decided to start flashing randomly instead of just staying on. so i took it to the dealer and they found the codes P0302 and P0304, which is misfires on #2 and #4 cylinders. they cleared the code and now the CEL flashes about 5 times after i accelerate fast and then stays off. also, it idles very poorly now...the whole engine shakes and moves far more than normal. my body actually shakes when i'm sitting at stoplights. the guy in the service dept. said that it sounded like it was idling with only three cylinders. it seems perfectly fine when i accelerate, though, so i find it strange that the light flashes only after accelerating fast.

anyway, i'm pretty sure i don't remember the whole car shaking like that before i hit that/those deer, so i'm hoping that the body shop screwed something up and that they'll fix it under their own warranty so i don't even have to bother with the dealer.

my only uneducated guesses so far as to what's going on are:

1) one of the pulleys got bent that the body shop overlooked
or
2) somethings wrong with the cooling system

i have no idea what causes an engine to misfire though so any knowledge or help would be greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I looked on NASIOC and it seems like a bunch of people have had this problem but no one's really found a solution.

Is misfiring actually bad for the engine or just for performance? it doesn't seem like it would hurt anything...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey! thanks for actually replying!

i drove around last night and the idle seemed to have improved a little and the check engine light doesn't flash anymore, so i was wondering if maybe the computer was just messed up since i didn't let it warm up after i started it (after the computer was reset) and since it hadn't been driven in a while?

could the computer have caused a misfire?

i'm gonna take it back to the dealer on monday to find out what, if anything, is wrong, but if it can fix itself i wouldn't really need to...

on a side note i installed my grill and clear corners today! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i got my car fixed!

when i hit the deer, the timing belt actually jumped two teeth:eek:.... that's why it was misfiring.

unfortunately, i found out today that my air conditioner is broken...probably also from the deer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts