ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone. i have just purchased a 2002 wrx it has some engine issues. upon purchasing the car i was informed that it may need an engine but it was too good of a deal to pass. so long story short after pulling the engine and tearing the heads off. the only problem found was burnt exhaust valves on pistons 1 and 3. i got the engine all fixed and am putting it back in the car this weekend. what im trying to find out is if my car is running to lean. the engine is fairly stock it has stock injectors but has aftermarket fuel rails ,aftermaket pulley, and TBE exhaust. there is also a greddy boost controler installed in the car. i have not used it but i have been told that the previous owner prob had it cranked up and pushed way to much boost with no ECM upgrades causing this to burn the valves. can that be correct? i would like to run the car with the current mods im looking at running stage 2 cobb the car apprears to be ready for stage 2. so long story short what is the cause of buring valves and how can i tell that my car is getting enough fuel and not getting too hot??? anything helps i know im all over the car i have been reading threads for a couple weeks. seems that mbc are frowned upon so i will hold off on that i would like to know exactly how they work and whats the purpose of using it if they are not recomended? :confused:

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
You need to data log and hook up a wide band AFR gauge to get it tuned.

Tuning should solve your problems as long as there aren't any other mechanical things going on. And personally, I wouldn't even drive the car until it has been tuned. Otherwise you're going to be back in there replacing the exhaust valves again and who knows what else.

(you should not run a Cobb stage 2 map with those mods, Cobb's stage two map i for cars that have an aftermarket downpipe and little else. If you want to keep those mods you are going to need a real tune)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will look into getting it tunned. it does have full exhaust the only cat in the system is the high performance cat. im fine with getting th car tunned. i just liked the thought of being able to change maps. how does a tune effect how the car runs i know it remaps everything. but is a tune hard on your engine or is it just adjusting to your mods. what are the pros and cons of getting a tune???

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
You can change maps with or without an Access Port, but why exactly would you be changing maps?

Having a proper tune will be much better for your engine. It just means everything will be adjusted for the car to run correctly with the parts that are on it and the fuel that it is running on. Not having a tune is what will be hard on your engine. If the ECU isn't properly adjusted to the modifications that have been done to it then there is a high likely hood the engine will fail at some point. Take your burnt exhaust valves for example.

Pros of getting a tune - Considerable power increase, and better reliability.

Cons of getting a tune - It costs money?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts