Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, yesterday afternoon my 2013 STI shutdown at an intersection. I got it towed to my normal shop where they told me I had an internal oil leak that fried the pistons and sent shrapnel all inside the block. I went a year and a half with no problems and this is kinda a shock. It was fully built, GTX 3076 turbo, cosworth manifold, forged internals, etc. Is it worth it rebuilding the engine or do you guys think I should sell it as is? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
Depends on your personal financial situation. You can easily pay upwards of 10k to rebuild. Depending on the equity you have in the car you may end up eating that either way

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
My question is did you have it built? Or did you buy it like that? And who did the build? Reason I am asking is because when buying something like this from someone you don't know it usually ends in catastrophic failure like you mentioned. More times than not you are buying a car from someone that may have had the engine built correctly, but then modded things without them properly being tuned, didn't change the oil on time, and neglected regular maintenance. Thus, you buying someone else's problem.

With that aside, you need to take the block to the nearest Subaru performance mechanic. Find out how extensive the damage is. There is a change you can reuse your block, just need to have it honed and possibly sleeved. Once you have a reputable shop tear it down and assess the damage, they will be able to tell you an approximate price on a rebuild and so fourth. If you are lucky, you may be able to just reuse your short block with a fresh honing, larger pistons, new rods, and a new set of bearings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts