ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any insight into this scenario would be much appreciated; 2010 Sti with about 20,000 miles...driving South on I-81 in VA... mid-day...already traveled about 120 miles... Speed Limit is 70, doing 75... all gauges normal... then, pop/bang from the engine compartment, steering locks, brakes lock, temp gauge shoots up, check engine light comes on. Able to cost to the curb... call AAA... I open the hood and note that coolant reservoir cap is off, and there is coolant all over the engine. Tow truck driver arrrives, engine has cooled so he takes of the radiator cap, looks empty... replaces cap. Car is towed to Subaru dealer, but it's Easter Sunday and it's closed. Subaru is now telling me that I drove with the radiator cap off, and that the "check engine" light and "engine temp" gauge were ignored! This is not true, I would never drive my vehicle under those circumstances. Subaru says the engine is done, and of course, not covered by warranty based on their assertion to the events. Appreciate any insight! J

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Yeah how can Subaru tell you what you did?

Unfortunate as hell...I'd certainly begin raising some hell, especially to SoA.

They say what the actual failure was? Head gasket?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few: Tanabe df springs... AEM cold air intake... Magnaflow catback exhaust...2 ProSport Halo gauges... and HKS Blow off valve... thanks, Jim

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Any tune for the intake?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When it was installed... no issues... no noises, nothing... drove about 250 miles on Friday/Saturday with no issues... 122 on Sunday when it blew!

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
You needed a tune for the intake to run properly...not saying that was a cause, but that could be an issue for a warranty denial.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
You needed a tune for the intake to run properly...not saying that was a cause, but that could be an issue for a warranty denial.
Probably this. According to my tuner, my LGT ran SUPER lean when we put the intake on. Which isn't a huge problem for a short time. But for people that drive a lot of highway time I'd imagine that engine temps get pretty high. Add that with a super lean AFR and you have a recipe for disaster.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
^This.

Tunes from the factory on turbo Subarus are known for being lean as heck to begin with. Add an intake, you just increase chances for running even more lean when you aren't tuned for it. AFRs are hell. When you run lean and hot, you fry pistons and blow head gaskets.

·
8,921 Posts
Just dunk your car in some water and it will cool right off.

·
8,921 Posts
Sorry for this newbie question but what does it mean when you say it was running lean?
More air, less fuel. The opposite is running rich, that's when you have more fuel, less air. The latter is much better.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
This all rests around the radiator cap actually coming off, not necessarily any other issues. What is the physical evidence surrounding the radiator cap - are the tabs blown open or something? How did it actually get off of there? Since you didn't leave it off, something must show signs of the damage that resulted in it coming off.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
This all rests around the radiator cap actually coming off, not necessarily any other issues. What is the physical evidence surrounding the radiator cap - are the tabs blown open or something? How did it actually get off of there? Since you didn't leave it off, something must show signs of the damage that resulted in it coming off.
This is true and obviously back on topic. There should be at least some bent metal lip around the fill hole for the radiator no?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
So you've only had the intake on there for a few days? A total of 270ish miles?

How long has the BOV been on there, and how is it set (VTA, recirc, etc)?

You said Subaru says you drove with the radiator cap off correct? When you asked them why they're saying that, what evidence have they provided that's what happened? Any idea what happened to the overflow cap? Any signs of damage to the threads on the reservoir, or did you find the cap or any pieces of it? Have you recently done any service to the coolant system?

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
That sucks.. Typical SoA response, never wanting to take care of the customer and just pointing blame.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the discussion...to clarify, the radiator cap was intact...the coolant reservoir cap was blown off! SoA has stated: "Subaru performed a pressure test on the cooling system which requires refilling and pressurizing the system. The system held pressure for over 30 minutes with no drop in pressure as all and there were no signs of an external leak....performed a thermostat test to ensure proper operations and this test indicated the thermostat did not fail..." Bottomline, Subaru is stating that the failure was caused by an "outside influence" and therefore not covered by the warranty.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Sucks to hear man.

Go to a different dealer :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts