Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, so today I take a friend to school, take him back, get home. Later he calls me up, needs me to pick him up.

Soo, I go leave. Not sure if this is important, but I'm going to mention it. I was stuck in traffic that was so bad, it took me a hour to drive a distance of about a mile and 1/2 to two miles.

So, I pick him up, we head to my house to play on the XBOX. 6pm rolls around (hour ago) and we decide to leave. OK. So, we get in the car... Sounds fine. We leave, sounds fine. I get to the first light... Sounds fine. Mind you I'm not reving high or anything.
I get to the second light and hell breaks loose.

Some put-put sound is now coming from the engine. Sounds to me like under the intercooler, but could be around the turbo since it's all so close together under the hood. Sort of sounds like TurboXS magnaflow muffler under the hood I guess.
I HAVE NO F***ING CLUE WHAT IT IS!

I figure it's my imagination.

So I jump on the highway and bring it through the gears... Basically in short... The car sounds like a truck. I decided to back off the throttle, and somewhat limped to his house. Get into the driveway, and parked it. Pop the hood... Long behind, there's a 'put-put' sort of sound coming from the the turbo area. Have him rev the engine a little, and it just gets louder. On my way home I opened my window... Almost sounds like a lawnmower going down the road.

Sometimes when it's rev, then you let of, there's like a 'pop' sound too.

Now I know Subaru engines do have somewhat of a put-put sound, but this seemed louder and just not normal. It's pretty [email protected] cold out too. The engine was warmed up when this started. Especially been making sure of that since it's so cold out here in Connecticut.

The car gets full boost, the car feels strong... But it doesn't sound right.

and and...
There is no CEL.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should also note (PROBABLY IMPORTANT!), my friend says he smelt a hint of gas/fuel. I can't smell anything to save my life since i have year-round allergies that cause me a blocked up nose 7 day a week, 52 weeks a year.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do you have an up-pipe??

I had the exact same thing happen to me...all that happened what the egt probe on my up-pipe backed off abit and was leaking, so i tighting it back up, and fixed!
so hopefully that helps!

·
Registered
20 Posts
hey dan,

the cold weather brings out any problems with mechanical stuff.
i had something similar happen, but it may not be the case with you. i had the clip to one of my fuel inj. come partly unattached.
car was making all kinds of noises.

how does it idle? did you check for simple exhaust leeks?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ravi, idles like crap man. Certainly not the same quiet sound it used to be. :(

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
PPMotorsports said:
Uppipe or downpipe leak.

-Jim
Most likley- put your hand back there and see if you can feel little tufts of air. The smell you buddy smelled was probably just exhaust gas.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bringing it in tomorrow morning to have it fixed.
I guess some of the cat is out of the bag! :D
(hehe, no pun intended)

Yeah, there is an uppipe on the car.
Godspeed

Seems to be leaking. Could be the EGT, could be a gasket (I used brand new Subaru gaskets too! :eek: ). Eitherway, I sourced it to the uppipe this morning. It was so cold, I turned the car on, and exhaust fumes (like those you see from a muffler when it's freezing cold out) were coming up directly from where the uppipe is. Not something you can spot in the dark!

MY GOD!
Talk about a loud noise.
I've heard people describe it as hissing and so on...
This morning it sounded like there was a Blitz NUR Spec muffler under the hood! :eek3: :confused1

Anyway. Thanks for the info guys.
With some luck when I leave the shop tomorrow the car will be normal. $120 to $130 for the labor. I sure hope that's about all it will be!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heh, backed out? That's the understatement of the year! The thing was blown clear out of the EGT bung! Just hanging down there. :eek: And no CEL was thrown... WOW!

Anyway, took a little time to secure it back in with pliars, but I I did it. What a pain to fit your hand and anything in that tiny space.

Anyway, I hope this sound file I'm attaching will help somebody sometime with the same problem.
This was taken using my digital camera, so the quality isn't great... But you'll clearly hear... This is NOT what your car should sound like.

BTW... This was beside the intercooler / above the turbo.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this

~ Dan

PS: Dan, the uppipe is a nice piece! Glad I got one from you.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Uppipe engine/exhaust sound when your EGT sensor isn't where it should be! :eek3:

·
Registered
691 Posts
oh yes!, this is exactly what my car sounds like. i though it was an uppipe leak. however, i was expecting a banshee scream, but mine sounds like a big mack truck. ill going to try and fix it sunday.

·
Registered
691 Posts
actually, i have a question

i have the perrin uppipe, which doesnt have a bung for an EGT sensor. you said you had a godspeed uppipe. i thought that the godspeed uppipes were also bungless? the only other sensor i can think of is the 02 sensor in the manifold. is this it?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The godspeed does have the bung. Did you loosen any bolts on your exhaust manifold. I forgot to tighten them after installing my uppipe and it sounded at lot like zapix's, although a little softer. Found the loose bolts tightened them up and that fixed the problem.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Could be the O2 sensor. My friend who installed the uppipe mentioned checking that as well. Fortunately, with a picture of me pointing to where I saw some fumes/smoke this cold morning... He figured it was more than likely the EGT. Long behold it was. 10 minutes later I had it fixed.

But yeah... From everything I've heard, check the O2 sensor. As Kanos check, check all the bolts.

and obviously... Let us know if you fix it :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Zapix said:
Heh, backed out? That's the understatement of the year! The thing was blown clear out of the EGT bung! Just hanging down there. :eek: And no CEL was thrown... WOW!

Anyway, took a little time to secure it back in with pliars, but I I did it. What a pain to fit your hand and anything in that tiny space.

i was right first!! heheh:p

·
Registered
691 Posts
just went out and checked, the 02 sensor is still screwed in. i must be leaking out of a seal then.

·
Registered
691 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts