Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how long should i wait after running my car to let it cool down by leaving the car on? is it only necessary to cool it down if driving passed 3k? and is it ok to drive the last few minutes on low boost, under 3k, to let the car cool down, then just turn it off at the final destination? if so, how many minutes?

this is on my stock car. and is it worth it getting a turbo timer on a stock car?

·
Registered
218 Posts
there is no real cool down period for the engine. the main reason why we let the car idle after driving hard is because there is still a lot of hot oil in the turbo lubricating the axle. when you turn off that engine the turbo is still spinning but there is no oil being pumped to the axle and the oil will slowly burn up, cook and in the end have a bad turbo. most turbo timers are set at the range of about 30 seconds to about 2 minutes.

if you really think about it do you think 2 minutes will actually cool down your engine at all? it takes about a full day for an engine to cool down completely after a decent time of driving.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what i meant is to cool downt he turbo, not the engine, hence which is why i mentioned turbo timers and stuff. anyhoo 30secs to 2 mins. k thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
Subaru says that this is not nessasary with the stock car. Some people have put them in anyway and if you upgrade the turbo it is a good idea. 0 sec. should work unless your racing than you might want to let it idle for a couple of minutes. IMO.

G

·
Just pull into your parking place, fidget with yoru sunglasses, cd's, nose, etc.. and then shut the car off. That's about 30 seconds.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Another good reason to switch to synthetic. Synthetic has a higher flash point, meaning, it will not coke even at high temperatures. Its cheap insurance for a turbo car.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
norb is VERY right. this is one of the major points why synthetics are reccomended for high performance engines and forced air induction mods.

DR

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Yep, and if you really want a turbo timer I would suggest the HKS type-1, which works as a turbo timer and a g-tech so you can measure all your 0-100m, 1/4 mile and all that other goodie (not 100% accurate but the times are relative). I have mine set on automatic so the timer will increment itself once I'm over a certain speed or RPM and it will decrement itself once your foot's off the gas. So if you just re-park your car or whatever it might have 1 second to count down, so you won't have to wait 2 minutes everytime you start your car. You know what I mean right? One place they sell them is the v store at importhookup.com under Performance/electonics and you can find it there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
at HID, there was a white wrx i think, that had an hks TT int he space next to the cup holder. it fits prefectl in the space. anyone konw which one it is?

·
Registered
218 Posts
the hks type 0 and 1 i think are both the same size. they dont fit perfectly you will have to take apart that section and cut into it and cut out the size of the TT. so there is some fabrication needed.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
It fits flush but you'll have to do a little cutting if you want to fit it next to the cup holder. I just pulled out my ashtray and stuck it in there. I think the only problem with that is you have to look down and if you want to mess around with it while you're driving you must be extremely careful, and yes, the manual tells you not to do that when you're driving.

Tim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cool Down

I don't cool down my engine (or warm it up either) unless I have been driving at high speed.

The turbo will do fine during normal driving if you turn your car off right after parking.

I had a Audi turbo used this as my main operating system and after 170,000 miles the turbo never had to be worked on. (however everything else did because audi has high maintenance costs)

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
Interesting

speaking of turbo timers, check this shi+ out. I think I am in love.

T-Timer

also. about the cool down period, from what I have heard recently from some of my favorite mechanics, if you are using synthetics (oil i mean), there is almost NO risk to your turbo of turning your car off right away. because of the durability and higher viscosity capabilities of something like mobil one, the left over oil in the turbo will NOT cook down into that grimy paste we all know and hate. (just to reaffirm the previous posts with some professional opinion) this is really just another reason to stick with the higher performance synthetics rather than conventional oils.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find that you don't need to change your sythetic oil every 3000. the companies suggest that you wait 10,000, but I think I will be changing around 5000 to be safe. but at 3500 miles on this filter and oil, my lube is still almost entirely clear! i guess it really IS worth the 5 bux a quart!.

DR

1 - 14 of 14 Posts