ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a place where i can have have a pro person do it for me? Im have a fear of messing up my engine interior.... But yea, is there a certain place i can go to for cleaning engines??:confused:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
honestly, its not that hard to do it yourself. Some Citrus Cleaner from any auto store and some water from a hose usually work great.

There's places that can steam clean your engines. I would do a google on "steam clean AND engine" and see what comes up. They usually come out pretty spotless after those Im told.

I called up a carwash just recently and asked if they offered anything to clean engines and they didn't offer a thing, so I believe they may be hard to come by.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Google search Autopia. They have a really good guide to detailing every aspect of your car. They also carry products like microfiber towels and terry towes. I'd say they are the best online resource for car care. I remember them having a good tutorial on engine cleaning as well.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am also interested in cleaning my engine. I checked out Autopia and found this:

"The next very important step is to prepare your engine for getting wet. You must cover all sensors, the distributor, spark plug openings and any electrical devices that have the potential for water accumulation (which could cause a short)."

How much of this applies to the WRX?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Red Ride said:
I am also interested in cleaning my engine. I checked out Autopia and found this:

"The next very important step is to prepare your engine for getting wet. You must cover all sensors, the distributor, spark plug openings and any electrical devices that have the potential for water accumulation (which could cause a short)."

How much of this applies to the WRX?
ive blasted the hell out of my engine bay before after simple greening it down and started like a champ. my only suggestion would be to steer away from getting the alternator too wet and, if your engine is really warm/hot dont blast it with cold water right away forcing the metal to contract quite quickly. when hot glass is cooled down quickly it shatters, id imagine that theres a chance similar damage could happen to metal (cracking etc) but steam cleaning would probably be the best route to go.

steam is teh wInNaR!

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
any professional car detailing company can do it for you.

when i was detailing to pay the bills, we would basically open the hood (leave the car running) spray it with our chemicals and just power wash it off.

letting the chems soak into all teh gunk real good and a QUICK once over usually gets it fine.

most newer cars are sealed properly and very rarely did a car ever die. but when it did, just popped the distributor cap, sprayed some windo cleaner (alcohol = evaporation) and blasted it with some air and everything was fine.

just keep in mind if you have a CAI or SRI be very careful to keep the water away. that could = dead car for sure.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
prepare your engine for getting wet? please who cares what happens when it rains? I use my pressure washer on my car all day long and ive never had a problem with it..i avoid the battery and sensors though!

·
Registered
18 Posts
gusto said:
any professional car detailing company can do it for you.

when i was detailing to pay the bills, we would basically open the hood (leave the car running) spray it with our chemicals and just power wash it off.

letting the chems soak into all teh gunk real good and a QUICK once over usually gets it fine.

most newer cars are sealed properly and very rarely did a car ever die. but when it did, just popped the distributor cap, sprayed some windo cleaner (alcohol = evaporation) and blasted it with some air and everything was fine.

just keep in mind if you have a CAI or SRI be very careful to keep the water away. that could = dead car for sure.
I removed my intake silencer, should i avoid that area? Thanks

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
i goto the "do it yourself car wash" causei can usually clean my car with $4 :p, i saw the engine cleaner knob that is used with the presure washer......scared me to use cause when i sprayed it on the ground to see how it is it just spit water out hard ... ehhh

i'de say be careful

1 - 13 of 13 Posts