Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. So I do have some tinkering to do prior to the point of actually building. But I like to plan/dream... what have you.

I am out of touch with the car world and buying my 2009 STI is my jump back in. Ideally I am only looking for the 400-450-500hp range. It is my and will continue to be my daily so still need to think about gas mileage a little (45 miles one way for work). The car has 130k miles on it and i know that a rebuild/build of the engine would be needed.

I guess mainly I am looking for direction on what kits to buy for a rebuild, where to buy... I can google anything but there is so much out there. I want to make sure I am spending my money wisely and will be pleased with the outcome. I am looking to do all most everything myself but will use a shop when needed for anything major like machining.

I am local to Des Moines, IA if that helps in any way shape or fashion.

·
Æternum
15,576 Posts
Why would you rebuild an otherwise intact motor?

Are you aware that a rebuild will cost between $10k and $15k?

It is unwise to do your own build if you are new to working on cars.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Only 400-500 whp? That's pretty modest, so it shouldn't cost you too much more than $10,000 or so to get a somewhat reliable setup.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would you rebuild an otherwise intact motor?

Are you aware that a rebuild will cost between $10k and $15k?

It is unwise to do your own build if you are new to working on cars.
I am just rusty. I have rebuilt in the past. Mainly want the rebuild so I can bolt on a bigger turbo, and fuel system without worrying about it going boom. I feel like 130k miles is kind of high to start modding. But I could be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
I am just rusty. I have rebuilt in the past. Mainly want the rebuild so I can bolt on a bigger turbo, and fuel system without worrying about it going boom. I feel like 130k miles is kind of high to start modding. But I could be wrong.
If the engine is in good shape 400whp isn't any more "reliable" at 50k miles.

I know this is beat into the ground, but ask yourself if you really want that. As mentioned before it's going to be very expensive, and the general consensus is at those power numbers you are no longer in daily driver range. At 400 whp you are looking at near 500 at the crank. That's a lot of umph for a 2.5l 4pot. There is little to nothing that can be done to make that reliable for daily driver duty. 500whp is North of 600 at the crank nearly twice what the block is designed for. Even with closed deck builds they still tend to go sooner than later and many folks I've seen here and nasioc were getting less than 10k on those types of builds.

You can do well with an intake and exhaust, maybe a new top mount and e85. You'll be in for a lot less money and less chance of detonating something.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the engine is in good shape 400whp isn't any more "reliable" at 50k miles.

I know this is beat into the ground, but ask yourself if you really want that. As mentioned before it's going to be very expensive, and the general consensus is at those power numbers you are no longer in daily driver range. At 400 whp you are looking at near 500 at the crank. That's a lot of umph for a 2.5l 4pot. There is little to nothing that can be done to make that reliable for daily driver duty. 500whp is North of 600 at the crank nearly twice what the block is designed for. Even with closed deck builds they still tend to go sooner than later and many folks I've seen here and nasioc were getting less than 10k on those types of builds.

You can do well with an intake and exhaust, maybe a new top mount and e85. You'll be in for a lot less money and less chance of detonating something.
I guess being a realest would come in handy here lol. I guess I need to remember it is going to be a daily. It has a K&N on it now. Is that stock? It has some type of exhaust. I do not know how much of an exhaust or if it is just a muffler.

Is COBB the company to go with? I have saw a few guys running a COBB intake. And I saw that on the COBB website they have the intake, tuner, exhaust... that type of stuff.

I do not know to much about the E85 set up. I saw a kit that changes fuel delivery and a sensor, but can the engine handle it for prolong use without damage?

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
I guess being a realest would come in handy here lol. I guess I need to remember it is going to be a daily. It has a K&N on it now. Is that stock? It has some type of exhaust. I do not know how much of an exhaust or if it is just a muffler.

Is COBB the company to go with? I have saw a few guys running a COBB intake. And I saw that on the COBB website they have the intake, tuner, exhaust... that type of stuff.

I do not know to much about the E85 set up. I saw a kit that changes fuel delivery and a sensor, but can the engine handle it for prolong use without damage?
With the right kit e85 is arguably more reliable than gasoline as it's more knock resistant.

Cobb is probably the most popular company that deals with Subaru performance and tuning. Their parts are pretty good and their off the shelf tunes are alright for the casual tuner. They sell everything in staged packages so you can easily decide what you want and go with that.

Your filter is not stock. I don't know if the intake itself is or not. If not and with the unknown exhaust i would seek a professional opinion. Find out what you have and what you need to be good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With the right kit e85 is arguably more reliable than gasoline as it's more knock resistant.

Cobb is probably the most popular company that deals with Subaru performance and tuning. Their parts are pretty good and their off the shelf tunes are alright for the casual tuner. They sell everything in staged packages so you can easily decide what you want and go with that.

Your filter is not stock. I don't know if the intake itself is or not. If not and with the unknown exhaust i would seek a professional opinion. Find out what you have and what you need to be good.
I want to try and get under the car this weekend and would have a better idea on what i am dealing with.

Can i get a recommendation for an E85 kit?
COBB has this. https://www.cobbtuning.com/products...thanol-sensor-kit-sti-2008-2019-wrx-2008-2014 is that all i would need?

·
Æternum
15,576 Posts
For your car, the only two reasonable options for a Flex Fuel (E85) setup are Cobb and ECUTek. Choose whichever your tuner prefers.

IMO, the ECA (FlexFuel) should be compulsory -- E85 is rarely 85% Ethanol. It's often 65-95% Ethanol.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I might respectfully suggest that "daily driver" generally means someone is looking for a reliable vehicle that will get them to work on time.

I might also respectfully suggest that rebuilding a higher mileage vehicle to those larger numbers in terms of horsepower might run counter to having a reliable daily driver . . . not to mention a daily driver with good gas mileage.

Then again . . . if reliability and high mpg are desired I suspect one might have been looking at a Prius, Honda or Toyota vs. a more fun car like the WRX or STI. :)

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
What are your power goals for the vehicle? If your 400 goal is bhp, a custom StageII tune will get you in that ballpark. If you're looking for 400whp, you should not be relying on this as a daily commuter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts