ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having my new engine finished soon...

It will by dynoed and tuned immediately after...

so do I really have to "break" it in ?

some people say no and some say yes...

any opinions ?

thanks

oh its an ej257 w/stock wrx heads ported and polished..etc..

·
Registered
128 Posts
well what have you got to lose by breaking it in. i'd go 1000 miles on normal oil, easy driving, then change to Mobil 1 or something like that.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm actually gonna go the first 3-5k on regular and then switch to my amsoil as normal.

But if theyre gonna tune it, dyno it, and then we're gonna road test it..

Is there a pt to breaking it in ?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Since you're getting a stock Subaru shortblock, the breakin should be identical to that of an STi....1000 miles keep it under 4k rpm, no full boost, let it warm up/cool down every time for a minute or so.

Honestly, with the engine trouble you've been through, is there really any excuse not to do this perfectly this time? Keep normal oil in it for the break in, then switch to your synthetic...it will seriously notbe that long before 1000 rolls around, believe me.

Be thankful your breakin will be easier than mine, since mine's a rebuilt stock block that's been machined.... change oil @ 250 miles, 750 miles, 1000 miles, 1500 miles, then put in synthetic....looooonng breakin.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
What motor did you get? If you plan to pound it on the dyno the 1,000 mile break in is out the window.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a stock usdm sti block.

Yeah I am having it tuned right away...so I guess the break in is right out the window :wiggles:

Dahwell...I'll take it easy for the first couple of days...it will only take about that long to get to 1k...:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts