·
Super Moderator
10,883 Posts
Not really. It will allow them better design choices

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
24,465 Posts
Aside from Subaru and Porsche, what other automaker uses horizontally opposed? Maybe they are not that great?

A lot to be said for inline engines.

·
Super Moderator
10,883 Posts
They are still used in small aircraft and have seen huge success with VW, Subaru, and Porsche. The platform is reliable enough, I just don't think it allows for the greatest design choices when opting for AWD. It shoves the engine further forward making the car more nose heavy, takes up a lot of square footage under the hood that could be used for hybrid systems, and I'm sure other aspects I'm totally not thinking about and are not listed in the article.

I don't think the sti would be the first to lose it, I would imagine they would test the waters in something besides their flagship, however it's relatively low volume so it may be the best choice financially.

·
Super Moderator
24,465 Posts
Yes, the shove forward is a problem balance-wise - always has been. Not for Porsche ...

I know they work well for aircraft.

·
Æternum
15,465 Posts
I said it before, I bet the 2.4 DIT engine for the Ascent will also go into the next STI.
That would be a dumb move.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,883 Posts
That would be a dumb move.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Basically. They are striving for tighter emissions. Excess displacement isn't helping that

·
Super Moderator
10,883 Posts
Good, now if only they could make a car that doesn't rely on fossil fuels.
What do you think powers all the equipment that makes the vehicles, charge the vehicles, and with the plastics today, makes the vehicle?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Made from non renewable plastics.

Not necessarily, renewable energy continues to develop and become more advanced to support our ludicrously unsustainable infrastructure.

·
Super Moderator
10,883 Posts
Not necessarily, renewable energy continues to develop and become more advanced to support our ludicrously unsustainable infrastructure.
I'm just busting your hump man. But there is no current feasible way to have a vehicle line that requires no non renewable resources. Electric plug in is about the best we can get

·
Super Moderator
10,883 Posts
Depends on the plastic

1 - 20 of 39 Posts