ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Just wondering i know there are alot on people in NY running catless and wondering what your method is for passing emmisions. The sniffer and visual but more specifically the sniffer. So do you swap for a catted setup right b4 you test or do you "know the guy" thats tests your car. Whats your secret
Thanks, Rob
Ps(i am asking for a 02-03 wrx and a 05 sti)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
you can optionally get sniffed if you fail obd in some states. Also, some OBD tests actually check that you have an O2 sensor - better to do the anti-fouler trick than the CEL delete.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Do visual checks verify both the downpipe cat and the midpipe cat? I don't know how strict they are in PA about the visual check.

There is a mechanic that gets all the business from my dads company. He's a pretty good guy and has a small performance shop. I'm definitely going to get my alignment from him eventually... I should at least leave a couple six packs on the passenger seat when I drop it off I guess.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Do visual checks verify both the downpipe cat and the midpipe cat? I don't know how strict they are in PA about the visual check.

There is a mechanic that gets all the business from my dads company. He's a pretty good guy and has a small performance shop. I'm definitely going to get my alignment from him eventually... I should at least leave a couple six packs on the passenger seat when I drop it off I guess.
i would say the mechanic would have to know it had 2 cats on it. this might help you findout exactlly what they look at. PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - Vehicle Emissions Inspections selsct your region and then there is a place to select what will my vehicle require. i remember hearing people at work talking that some people in different counties in pa have different rules and some dont even do emissions. i also remember them saying some do diagnostics and other do visual. is it 100% true i dont know i just heard it at work.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
i would say the mechanic would have to know it had 2 cats on it. this might help you findout exactlly what they look at. PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - Vehicle Emissions Inspections selsct your region and then there is a place to select what will my vehicle require. i remember hearing people at work talking that some people in different counties in pa have different rules and some dont even do emissions. i also remember them saying some do diagnostics and other do visual. is it 100% true i dont know i just heard it at work.
I know it varies by county to county. I think Fayette county doesn't have emissions for example. I know a visual is requried here, I'll have to look into what they look for though. Thanks.

EDIT: According to that site, it only says Gas Cap Check and OBD check. I know service stations put up a price for a visual check. Maybe Allegheny doesn't require a visual =)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I know it varies by county to county. I think Fayette county doesn't have emissions for example. I know a visual is requried here, I'll have to look into what they look for though. Thanks.

EDIT: According to that site, it only says Gas Cap Check and OBD check. I know service stations put up a price for a visual check. Maybe Allegheny doesn't require a visual =)
i would say that if it says gas cap and obd check, then thats a no on the visual. they shouldnt be able to force something thats not required. that would be good for you then? i know in centre county they do visual and gas cap. i dont think some of the smaller stations here a really pickie tho.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Heide264 said:

Heide264 said:

If you have a good working relationship with the guy, talk to him when no one else is around. The worst he can do is say he's not comfortable. That said, tossing him a few $$ or a 6er for his help doesn't hurt ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts