1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes..you should always have the car warmed up if you do a smog check. If it's just the one cat in the downpipe, and you have the other two, I don't see how you can't pass emissions. But if you only have the one in the midpipe, then you probably won't pass. Depending on the state though, different emission laws and thresholds.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing. I'll be installing my new PDE downpipe in a few days (no cats). My county is an OBDII county, meaning they hook up to your OBD port and scan for codes and/or "Not Ready" flags. I think I can get by that. There's no tailpipe test. Of course, if they do a visual check, I'm hosed...:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just an fyi, in Illinois, the testing is done 4 years after the manufactured date and then every two years.

You got plenty of time to put back your stock downpipe if need be.

·
38,620 Posts
ccdelro said:
Just an fyi, in Illinois, the testing is done 4 years after the manufactured date and then every two years.

You got plenty of time to put back your stock downpipe if need be.
NC is one year after manufactured date and then tests every year thereafter. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Awesome... :rolleyes:
I'm moving to Raleigh next weekend.

What about a catless up-pipe? Can you pass emissions with just that done? Will it cause any CEL's?

Thanks!

·
38,620 Posts
Fixxxer said:
What about a catless up-pipe? Can you pass emissions with just that done? Will it cause any CEL's?
My understanding is that some uppipes will indeed throw the EGT CEL. When I reflash to Cobb Stage II, I'm going to make sure they eliminate the uppipe CEL and the O2 CEL.

If Raleigh (Wake Co.) is the same as Mecklenburg Co, then you should be able to pass inspection with an uppy as long as you aren't throwing codes.

People who know more can feel free to correct me...:)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Cool. I was worried about that. But, I was also planning on getting a Cobb stage 1 reflash while I'm gone on my honeymoon next week. I can probably just ask them to remove that CEL when they do it.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts