ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I posted on here after I went to Cobb stage 1 on my car and said I didn't really notice much of a difference. Well, today the car seems like it's a whole different animal. I haven't driven it much since my first drive after I went to stage 1 except around town pretty calmly, but today on my way to work I really floored it a few times and definitely felt the difference. I know with a lot of changes such as a new intake or exhaust and no EM change, the factory ECU has to "learn" the mods and can improve over time.

What about the Cobb AP? Is there any remnant of the factory programming that "learns" and will get better after driving the car for a short time? Or am I smoking crack and the car is the same as the first time I drove it? If that's the case, the only thing I can think of is that I was just expecting a bigger difference and my brain just didn't grasp the improvement, but after a couple of days of not really driving the car, I did notice.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Cobb says the ECU could take up to 2 weeks to fully learn. The way i drive it happens sooner.

When i flashed stage 1, then stage 2, the got a custom tune it seemed like 2-3 days was about the curve. Drive the car in every way possible so it will learn fast.

Happy Motoring.

·
In Memoriam
3,733 Posts
Harder you drive the car, the quicker it will learn. If you baby it around it won't learn. In all honesty, 1 WOT pull it should advance the IAM all the way up IF the ecu doesn't detect any knock.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Harder you drive the car, the quicker it will learn. If you baby it around it won't learn. In all honesty, 1 WOT pull it should advance the IAM all the way up IF the ecu doesn't detect any knock.
IAM = ???

It's got at least 100 miles on it including a couple of highway merges today at full throttle, and it's definitely woken up. The highway trip was a jaunt to go pick up my new Cobb TBE. :wiggles::wiggles::wiggles::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
IAM = ???

It's got at least 100 miles on it including a couple of highway merges today at full throttle, and it's definitely woken up. The highway trip was a jaunt to go pick up my new Cobb TBE. :wiggles::wiggles::wiggles::thumbup:
IAM = Ignition Advanced Multiplier. It is really hard to explain unless you understand the different timing tables the Subaru ECU uses. Basically IAM measures if your car is happy, and whether or not there is any knock. When you reflash your ecu it will set the IAM to .5, and if the car does not since knock it will work its way up to 1. This is what Cobb is talking about when they say it can take two weeks, because if you do not drive it hard IAM could take awhile to kick up to 1. I can get my IAM to 1 on a couple of hard pulls on a reflash.

btw, your AccessPort will not tell you what your IAM is, you must use opensource to know....

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
^^^ Troof

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
btw, your AccessPort will not tell you what your IAM is, you must use opensource to know....
Do you really need to know what it is? Or is it enough that the car is running fine?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Do you really need to know what it is? Or is it enough that the car is running fine?
If boost seems normal and the car seems fine then no, you do not need to know what it is. If you are like me and you use custom maps (keep in mind maps that are not made to work for most every car like cobbs maps) then yes you would want to know. Cobb makes some pretty safe maps and if you are within the required parameters of each of their stage maps then you should be fine:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts