Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Moderating on the run!
7,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a electronic (Omori) boost gauge and have everything figured out (amazingly!) except the electrical connections. I am a fairly abled mechanic- except electrical stuff!

Here's where I need help- there is a plug in going to the gauge, the other has exposed wires (5) to hook the power/ground/lights. It has a brown wire (states do not use)- I'll tape that one up. It has a red wire for power, don't know where to go w/ it. It has two black wires for ground (says you can use only one if you want) I'll tape one up, don't know where to go with the other black ground wire. It has one white wire, this is supposed to go to the "light" wire- don't know where to go w/ this. I'd like to have the gauge dim as it matches the oe gauges- yellow needle, green back lit.

I am mounting this on the steering column and was planning on hooking up the electrical behind the stereo (ala the oe boost gauge directions) but don't know what to "tap" into.

Thus- black ground to where? red power to where? white "light" to where?
And should I use theose "vampire" connectors? Are these 18 gauge wires I'll be tapping?

Electrical Moron
aka Big Sky

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know what to do with the white wire, but with my mechanical boost gauge, I wrapped the one ground wire around a bolt under the dash. Unscrew the nut, wrap the wire around the bolt a few times, then re-tighten the nut. For the red wire, I pulled the fuse for the interior lights that come on when the headlights are on and jammed the wire in, then put the fuse back in. The fuse box is behind the coin tray under the dash. Search to find a diagram of which fuse it is. Maybe someone else can give you more appropriate instructions for your electrical gauge.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Ok...DON'T do what John did...

Jamming wires behind fuses is not a good way to make clean, permanent electrical connections. Find the fuse on the panel for the instrument panel (it should be labeled in your owners manual) and SPLICE the power source. I'm not sure, but the dimmer might be after the fuse box, so you might need to trace the wires to the steering column. Either way, you need the power source for the instrument panel and you need to splice, not jam.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
JohnGalt00 said:
I don't know what to do with the white wire, but with my mechanical boost gauge, I wrapped the one ground wire around a bolt under the dash. Unscrew the nut, wrap the wire around the bolt a few times, then re-tighten the nut. For the red wire, I pulled the fuse for the interior lights that come on when the headlights are on and jammed the wire in, then put the fuse back in. The fuse box is behind the coin tray under the dash. Search to find a diagram of which fuse it is. Maybe someone else can give you more appropriate instructions for your electrical gauge.
i did the same as john but i did it to the ignition system...so my shift light and boost gauge work whenever the car is on

·
Moderating on the run!
7,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I've got the BOV tapped->line into sending unit-> sending unit mounted-> line into cabin-> boost gauge mounted (steering column)

Here's what I need help w/:

I've got five wires

1. brown-instructions say don't use-got it
2. black- ground- will ground to approiate location
3. another black- don't need it-got it

Here's the two I need to to tap (just don't know which wires). I was going to go behind the radio.

4. red- 12volt source - don't know which wire
5. white - light source- (I'm guessing this will make it dimmable?)- again don't know which wire

So close, yet so far away:confused:

Big Sky

1 - 5 of 5 Posts