ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright im not to knowledgeable about subies but does anyone know how much mod it would take to put a version4 ej20t engine and tranny into a 99' legacy outback? im sure it wouldnt just drop in but is this even close to possible or should i just wait and buy an actual sti?

·
Registered
437 Posts
as far as i know all EJ-s fit wherever an EJ existed, so it should work

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
even if the there was a 2.5 before? and what about the tranny?

·
Registered
437 Posts
even with a 2.5L, cuz the block is pretty much the same, EJ = EJ... you may have to make a trans mount, but if it's still the 5 speed it'll bolt up to the new EJ and should to the frame as long as it was a 5 speed to begin with

the problem you're going to run into is emissions equipment and making it legal, but that's a whole 'nother story

·
Registered
593 Posts
i would just wait and buy an STi. unless you are just hell bent on having a fast wagon...but then again you could have a faster wagon with the new STi. not to mention once youve got an EJ20 in there you still would have to mod it to make it STi speed.. and you still dont have the chassis and brake mods to keep up with one... i would say save your money and buy what you really want... an STi

but if you are still hell bent on having a fast wagon... read up!
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0403scc_subaru_gbd_wrx_engine/index.html

Matt

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,233 Posts
even if the there was a 2.5 before? and what about the tranny?

Turbo and non-turbo motor/gearbox combinations differ in that one setup uses a Porsche-type clutch, while the other does not. However, you don't have to swap gearboxes if you don't want to; what you must do though is take along the flywheel from the donor car if one car is turbo and the other is not (this will make sense once you see both cars apart).

All that is nothing though compared to the real problem -- the ECUs. Good luck with the wiring.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was not quit as intersted in a having a fast wagon as i was having a fast car that no one would expect. i though it was a good idea but im styarting to see that its probably not worth it... i think ill just stick to saving for a normal STI

1 - 7 of 7 Posts