ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my 5MT gave way. Now I'm looking for a transmission, but my question now is if I buy a 5MT again or rebuild it how high are the chances of the transmission breaking again? Or should I try to go with a 6MT? Only reason I'm asking this is because right now financially I can't do the 6MT swap seeing I only have 3k + money for the new clutch and flywheel. If this was a month ago, then this would've been different, since I'm a full-time student I had to buy stuff for the new spring semester.

thanks,

M

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Very high. The RA gearsets are a bit stronger from what I've read but are geared differently. I'm willing to bet you can find used PPGs for around 3k.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Go with Albins/PPG replacement gears

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a good deal on a JDM v7 6MT, ( TY856WB1AA )so I guess I'm going with this. My only question now is aside from the trans, shifter, clutch/flywheel, xmemeber, etc. Will I need anything else for the swap diff, driveshaft, etc ?

Need to know by today so when it comes in I can have everything together, instead of having to wait a few days for the other parts to come in.

thanks,

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Pretty sure you need the driveshaft and rear diff.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
--- Does anyone if my axles will fit/work on this tranny, or do I have to change them too. The diff I will be getting is r160 to match up with the final drive of the trans, 3.90.

thanks so much for the help.

·
SuperNova
11,905 Posts
As discussed in your previous thread on 5mt/6mt, its not as straight forward a swap as you might think, and not something to be done on the cheap.

I vote rebuilt 5 spd with ppgs. That requires the least amount of additional expenses and parts retrofits.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand, but its too late now. All in all, the trans just came in an hour ago with the diff (r160 3.90) and driveshaft. I was just wondering if it can work with the axles?

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
As for your axles, it just depends on what style you have. Do you have the ones with the female end that connects to the transmission or do you have both male ends? What does the JDM trans have?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts