ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
okay I just tryed to put this post up and I can't find the thing now. But I have an mr2 and the 2's run the 3S-GTE. it is a strong little engine and can run some pretty good power on stock internals. 300 to 325 or so. I am in the middle east right now (air force) and should be home in sept. and am looking to get a new car. right now I am looking at the WRX. I am tired of not having a back seat or a real usable trunk. So as the title tells I would like to know how much power i can run with the EJ20 before I have to do any major changes. I am not just going to turn up the boost until it goes bust One of my first mods would be a piggy back like an E-manage or maybe even a stand alone so that I can run higher boost and still have things running smooth, sorry if i jacked up the engine code I don't have a WRX. any info will be welcome. thanks

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I would say anything over 300whp is a time bomb. I know from experience. I got alot of miles out of my stock ej20 but now am experiencing problems. 300+ and its anybodys game.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Not sure yet. Im pretty sure its a compression issue. My turbo wont boost past 1.1 bar. Even if I disconnect the wastegate. My car cant seem to handle any pressure over 14lbs. I'm still not sure what the problem is but...I'm leaning towards my engine. I have had my stage 4 for 30k though so its given me its due. Its a stout engine but it is a time bomb over stage 4...just my opinion. I dont think its weak though, actually very strong.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I have been doing a lot of research into this topic, since I was pondering the thought of going with an even bigger turbo than I have right now.

Reading a post on NASIOC by Clark Turner (AZScoobie), who is a tuner, he mentioned that the main factor in engines popping left, center and right is ALL in the tune...

He mentioned that doubling the WHP on the car does not come close to equalling double the stress on the engine internals...

I also read a fair bit about a few chinks in the armour of some engine mangement systems out there, which in my opinion, really don't help matters in the war to keep these engines alive at these high power levels.

I'll go try dig up the post and paste a link...

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
I agree it's not as simple as x amount of hp and your OK. Our engines need to run a little on the rich side- just a fact.

Personally for good longevity/realibility (including the rest of the drivetrain!) I think 300 hp/tq at the crank is a better idea (w/ a safe tune naturally).

Everyone has his own idea of what constitutes a safe level, you need to keep reading and decide what will work best for you.

Big Sky

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks all for your answers, I am only looking to make about 275whp at the most. I would love to make 300 but I know that making that much power on any engine this small is going to wear the engine out fast. Another question: with intake exhast and boost up to about 16lbs and tuned with piggy back or stand alone, how much horse are you guys putting to the ground? I know these things can take that much boost.

·
Registered
253 Posts
with the parts you mentioned, (intake exhast and boost up to about 16lbs and tuned with piggy back or stand alone) your looking at around 230 to the ground. depending on the tune and the dyno. on stock turbo you will not get the numbers you are looking for. its just too small. i would imagine that this is also the case with your toyota. id recomend any vf series turbo to you. it will come close to 280-290whp. and stand alone would not be money well spent at that level IMHO. especially if your staying with stock turbo. piggy back or reflash is the way to go.

·
Registered
272 Posts
vegasmr2 said:
thanks all for your answers, I am only looking to make about 275whp at the most. I would love to make 300 but I know that making that much power on any engine this small is going to wear the engine out fast. Another question: with intake exhast and boost up to about 16lbs and tuned with piggy back or stand alone, how much horse are you guys putting to the ground? I know these things can take that much boost.
With only a catless uppipe, godspeed downpipe and a borla catback(therefore completely catless) with samco IC hoses, I put down 217 WHP on a dyno dynamics dyno which is not to shaby considering DD dynos tend to give you low numbers..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would like to keep the stock block for as long as possible, but as with the toyota, much over the mid 200's and you are going to bust something. Any yeah the stock ct26 turbo on the mr2 is too small to make any real big numbers. 225 to 230whp was what I was looking to make with those mods. The reason that I want to use a stand alone is that after I get to 230 or maybe even 240whp on the high end, I want to find a block and build it up to take the low 300's as an everyday driver. Shouldn't be too hard. All the basics of a block build, a larger turbo, and a properly tuned ecu. Thank you all for your info and opinions. This is making my choice easier. I believe that I want to go with the WRX soon as I get back from OIF. 230whp is enough to keep me happy for quite a while. What kind of 1/4 times and trap speeds were you guys getting or know or others to get with that hp? I am asuming that beacuse of the awd your 60 foot times are pretty good. Again thanks for your time and info.

·
4,769 Posts
Up to around 320 WHP is fine. We build many many cars in this range and tell folks that's all that I consider reliable on an everyday basis. Above this point and plan on rebuilding motor. We obviously do many many Stage 1, 2 and 3 2.5 liter motors also but a fair share just want to keep engine stock as well and that is fine. Most turbos can not generate over 320 WHP that re bolt on anyway, so most of the time you are just fine.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
vegasmr2 said:
I would like to keep the stock block for as long as possible, but as with the toyota, much over the mid 200's and you are going to bust something. Any yeah the stock ct26 turbo on the mr2 is too small to make any real big numbers. 225 to 230whp was what I was looking to make with those mods. The reason that I want to use a stand alone is that after I get to 230 or maybe even 240whp on the high end, I want to find a block and build it up to take the low 300's as an everyday driver. Shouldn't be too hard. All the basics of a block build, a larger turbo, and a properly tuned ecu. Thank you all for your info and opinions. This is making my choice easier. I believe that I want to go with the WRX soon as I get back from OIF. 230whp is enough to keep me happy for quite a while. What kind of 1/4 times and trap speeds were you guys getting or know or others to get with that hp? I am asuming that beacuse of the awd your 60 foot times are pretty good. Again thanks for your time and info.
TurboXS Stage 2 cars drop around 220whp, and trap somewhere arounf 100-102mph on the high end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I could build a daily driver putting down 250-275 whp on a pretty much stock block? Unless I misunderstood you.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Whem you star making alot of power the Tranny is the next thing to look at (well brakes too...faster you go faster you need to stop). when you get the rex do some searches in te powertrain section...just some stuff you need to know before making Alot of power.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts