Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I was looking at that pro-drive thing about upgrading the WRX to 300hp blah blah, and I read this:

"The WRX engine has been retuned to run on 98 octane fuel but efficiency gains mean improved economy. For example, the car now gives 39.8 mpg on the Extra Urban Cycle and 30.7 mpg Combined - improvements of 4 mpg and 3 mpg respectively"

Now sure this is the UK model and the UK has better petrol than the US model, but 30.7mpg?! That's WAY better than the US milage WRX figures. Sheesh!!

:(

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
98 RON is essentially equivalent to 94 AKI here in the US. Sunoco 94 octane has a nice premium over the price of 93, at least where I live.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I notice little difference in fuel mileage using Ultra 94 vs. Chevron 93 octane. It is definately < 1mpg if even that. (the reason I know is I don't have Sunoco when in KY for business so Chevron is the best substitute) And it sure would be nice to get into the 30's!!! Damn, I'm usually between 22-25. Only at 20 after my ECU was reprogrammed. (no mods at all)

·
Registered
106 Posts
WilliamG said:
Ok so I was looking at that pro-drive thing about upgrading the WRX to 300hp blah blah, and I read this:

"The WRX engine has been retuned to run on 98 octane fuel but efficiency gains mean improved economy. For example, the car now gives 39.8 mpg on the Extra Urban Cycle and 30.7 mpg Combined - improvements of 4 mpg and 3 mpg respectively"

Now sure this is the UK model and the UK has better petrol than the US model, but 30.7mpg?! That's WAY better than the US milage WRX figures. Sheesh!!

:(
Wonder if their "official" mileage calculations are as much a guessing game as the EPA's. Sure looks like it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Holy dead thread revival, Batman!

1 gal UK = 1.2 gal US

but that still doesn't explain the fuel efficiencies they are posting on the UK Subaru site (Click "Range" then Impreza then Specs)

39 mpg UK ("extra urban" aka highway only) = 32.5 mpg US.

Do they have a different ECU? Are their lawyers better at lying than our lawyers?!? (Now that would be whack.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts