Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what kind of temps they see with the EGT probe tapped in at the dowpipe? At idle? At full throttle?

I'm seeing about 700-750 degrees F at idle and 1200-1250 at full throttle. I know God had his at the downpipe and that anything over 1450 is dangerous. My mods are 3" turbo-back, up-pipe, Injen intake, TurboXS MBC @ 15.5 psi, and Samco IC hoses. Everything else is stock. No fuel or timing control other than the stock ECU.

Thanks in advance,

Dale

·
Registered
559 Posts
EGT probe in the downpipe?
Is it best to install it there??
I am ready to install my EGT Gauge and would like to t]know.
thanks
tuca

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's best to install the probe in a manifold runner. If you install it in the downpipe your indicated temps will be slightly lower than at the manifold. By how much, I don't know. Every probe I've ever installed has been installed in a manifold runner per manufacturer instructions.

·
Registered
555 Posts
as a reference:

I tapped my Omori egt probe at the manifold (the one that bolts to the up).

I get max of just under 1600 C (since my warning is set at 1600 and I've never hit it, but came close many times).

Hg.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had mine in the downpipe, but I've switch downpipes since then and just haven't had the time to reinstall it.

God,

downpipe or manifold runner? or does it really matter?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm guessing God tunes his car with a wide band O2 sensor, if he has his own WB, it doesn't really matter where his EGT is tapped. As long as his AF's are dead on and he knows where his EGTs are supposed to be at a given AF and RPM range, the EGT guage is nothing more than a warning device in case things deviate from norm. Those of us without WB O2 sensors that want an accurate EGT reading, should tap as close to the cylinders as possible, that means at the exhaust manifold. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
133 Posts
supermarkus said:
I'm guessing God tunes his car with a wide band O2 sensor, if he has his own WB, it doesn't really matter where his EGT is tapped. As long as his AF's are dead on and he knows where his EGTs are supposed to be at a given AF and RPM range, the EGT guage is nothing more than a warning device in case things deviate from norm. Those of us without WB O2 sensors that want an accurate EGT reading, should tap as close to the cylinders as possible, that means at the exhaust manifold. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah thats about right 3" from the number 3 cyd being that's the leanest.

FF

·
Banned
2,586 Posts
thought i'd at least get a few pictures up here since we're all talking about the same spot... this is drivers side manifold

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm about to do this install and was wondering what other people's opinions were on the subject.

Just to add some additional information to the debate...
In the instructions that came with my Autometer EGT Kit, they suggest installing the probe 1-2 inches from the turbo exhaust outlet for turbo cars and 1-2 inches from the cylinder head in NA cars. So according to Autometer we should put the probe in the down pipe.

So what's the right way?

·
Registered
208 Posts
progresr said:
I'm about to do this install and was wondering what other people's opinions were on the subject.

Just to add some additional information to the debate...
In the instructions that came with my Autometer EGT Kit, they suggest installing the probe 1-2 inches from the turbo exhaust outlet for turbo cars and 1-2 inches from the cylinder head in NA cars. So according to Autometer we should put the probe in the down pipe.

So what's the right way?
Did you not read the posts above yours? Ultimately, it's your car, do what you like. But search on this subject before you make your final decision.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts