Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 WRX Premium - MAP Stage 2

I was looking into TGV del, EGR del, and new EBCS, and then I find an article about just unplugging the EGR plugs while the car is off, and they remain closed.

Has anyone here just done the "unplug", and not the full delete?

Any other opinions, etc?

·
Registered
370 Posts
ive never seen any evidence of a TGV or EGR being a significant bottleneck on the road to more hp. it seems a lot of people just do these things because it adds another item to your cool guy mod list. yea im sure at some point that little flap in the TGV may impede airflow enough to be a hindrance but your engine is likely dead long before that. remember, your turbo is forcing pressurized air through there, its not just normal atmospheric air fresh from your filter. ive read people saying their engine never quite ran right after these deletes and ended up putting them back on. imho keep the complexity of your tune to a minimum, only do what is absolutely necessary.

that said, i sure dont want to take my intake manifold off every year to clean carbon buildup out. ive read other people come up with that idea but never any confirmation. if i was going to take the EGR off i would just take it off. id be too concerned with the door slowly opening from vibration or it slightly leaking when closed. remember, its not designed to stay closed while unplugged, it probably dosent include a dead bolt.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'm definitely not doing it to be cool. It's what the e-tuner recommended I do (TGV, EGR and EBCS). I'm at stage 2 with J-pipe and intake now, and the MAP OTS map, and actually all that I wanted to do was add the GS intercooler and chargepipe. MAP doesn't have an OTS map for that yet, so I need the e-tune. And those were the recommendations he suggested to do first.

But I do agree with what you said about the EGR. I would just take it off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not MAP. I'm only using their OTS Stage 2 tune. I believe they are working on a Stage 2+ OTS tune, but it's not available yet.

Phatbotti is the one that recommended the TGV, EGR, and EBCS. He even explains the reasons for the three on his webpage.

·
Registered
370 Posts
yea i dunno about the TGV reducing knock... EGR for sure has a legit argument. he also basicly just sais grimspeed EBCS will smooth out the torque curve, any tune should smooth out the torque curve... its all just opinions tho, i dont have any real data ither.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts