ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I say no way. He was a great hitter, with decent longevity, but the numbers just do not stack up to his contemporaries, plus he was not a winner, and he was just a damn DH (= 1/2 a player).

I think adding him to the hall would cheapen the accomplishment of others.

What do the baseball fans thing, because I know the non baseball fans will be here with their ghey azz comments.

-j

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
He always held a high batting average, but that was HIS JOB as a DH. He did do some fielding, and while it was decent, it was definitely not Hall-worthy.

I agree, he may have been a good player, but not a great player. There are plenty of great-quality players out there who should be in line ahead of him to make it into Cooperstown.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll say this, if he makes it in and Donnie Baseball never does, something is very wrong. Mattingly had alomst the same numbers, essentially indentical, except for walks where Edgar has 1200 vs 600, but mattingly only had 444 strike outs in his career while Martinez had 1095. All other stats are virtually indentical, but Mattingly was a yankee captain and a NINE time gold glover, second most all time at 1B, Edgar could hardly get out of his way in the field for most of his career.

Personally, I don't think Mattingly should make it, even though I grew up idolizing him, his career was just too short and too injusry plagued.

-joe

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that, but a lot of people have been saying yes, and he is winning the poll on espn.com by a landslide.

-joe

·
Registered
19,615 Posts
Joe, you sound nervous or something? hehe
He DID have a great career, but who knows? I'm not going to argue this one. I thought he was a hell of a player...but not hof'er
well, maybe. If Tom Yawkey and Orlando Cepeda can be in there, why can't Edgar?
:confused:

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, Yawkey owned the Sux for like 50 years, I guess they let him so he felt like he won something :)

The Baby Bull has better career stats than Martinez, much better in fact, and he did get in by the Veteran's comittee, its not like he was first ballot.

-joe

·
Registered
19,615 Posts
NJwrbT-WRX said:
Well, Yawkey owned the Sux for like 50 years, I guess they let him so he felt like he won something :)

The Baby Bull has better career stats than Martinez, much better in fact, and he did get in by the Veteran's comittee, its not like he was first ballot.

-joe
would you then throw in a vote for my then favorite player, Jose Canseco?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
wrxlude said:
If he makes it, they have to display the picture of him missing that catch at the wall, hitting him on the head and going over the fence for a home run!:p :p :p

·
Registered
19,615 Posts
ebr0t said:
"if you have to question it, they are not a HOF'er" - rome.
here's Eli : I don't like baseball

bah!!!

Rome is one of those guys where he thinks HE knows EVERYTHING. Like a big hot air balloon. Get Jim Everett back on his show so he can smack the sh!t outta him some more

·
Registered
19,615 Posts
overwrxed24 said:
If he makes it, they have to display the picture of him missing that catch at the wall, hitting him on the head and going over the fence for a home run!:p :p :p
or the 428 BOMBS he hit

let's forget that night in Cleveland. :(

Jose could've been one of the greatest of our generation hands down.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wrxlude said:
I might throw him a few votes, but he is really on the fence and I don't think he will get in because he was such a dick.

-joe

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ebr0t said:
"if you have to question it, they are not a HOF'er" - rome.
]

Jim Rome is teh mega suck and teh mega ghey. That guy has no credibility if you ask me.

-joe

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wrxlude said:
or the 428 BOMBS he hit

let's forget that night in Cleveland. :(

Jose could've been one of the greatest of our generation hands down.
If he spent a little less time with 17 yr old mamacitas and blow, I agree.

-joe

·
Registered
19,615 Posts
NJwrbT-WRX said:
I might throw him a few votes, but he is really on the fence and I don't think he will get in because he was such a dick.

-joe
yeah...his mouth was as big as his bat alot of the time.

·
Banned
1,637 Posts
Back on topic...

No, I don't think he is HOF material. I think people like him for a spot in the HOF because they admire the intangible aspects of his career. Examples:

1. Played for only one team (very rare for a modern player of his caliber).
2. Always humble
3. Showed a great work ethic
4. Involved in charity and the community
5. Consistent
6. Battled back from vision troubles to become a very good hitter

All of those things make him good for baseball and a good person. Still, it takes much more to make it to the Hall.

·
Registered
984 Posts
NJwrbT-WRX said:
I'll say this, if he makes it in and Donnie Baseball never does, something is very wrong. Mattingly had alomst the same numbers, essentially indentical, except for walks where Edgar has 1200 vs 600, but mattingly only had 444 strike outs in his career while Martinez had 1095. All other stats are virtually indentical, but Mattingly was a yankee captain and a NINE time gold glover, second most all time at 1B, Edgar could hardly get out of his way in the field for most of his career.

Personally, I don't think Mattingly should make it, even though I grew up idolizing him, his career was just too short and too injusry plagued.

-joe
+600 walks is huge. A walk is as good as a hit. For slow guys like Edgar and Don, strikeouts are actually preferable to other outs, because there's no chance of a double play.

Don hit .256 with 5 HR at age 29. Hall of fame 1B do not do that.

Edgar is only 2 years younger than Don but played almost 10 years longer, and has been effective up until this year. He's significantly better in ever offensive category.

Edgar is borderline HoF material, Mattingly is not even close.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FUNKED1 said:
+600 walks is huge. A walk is as good as a hit. For slow guys like Edgar and Don, strikeouts are actually preferable to other outs, because there's no chance of a double play.

Don hit .256 with 5 HR at age 29. Hall of fame 1B do not do that.

Edgar is only 2 years younger than Don but played almost 10 years longer, and has been effective up until this year. He's significantly better in ever offensive category.

Edgar is borderline HoF material, Mattingly is not even close.
whoa.....significantly better?

He has 40 less hits that DM, about 100 more runs, 50 more duobles, 70 more hrs, 100 more rbis, and about 200 more total bases. That is not that significant, that is pretty close to equal when you think of how long edgar played vs how long donnie played, even though the total games played are pretty similar....its not like edgar went out and played everyday. The gold gloves speak for themselves, and donnie had massive seasons, while edgar just had a lot of steady seasons. I do not think either should be in the hall, but Mattingly was a much better player in his prime, even though his prime was maybe only a 5 year span.

-j

1 - 20 of 22 Posts