Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any info on how these compare? At $395 the Access appears to be priced far more reasonably than the ECUtek. Sounds like they do pretty much the same thing. Anyone have any info?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just installed my Ecutec this week with my Vishnu stage Zero. The Rex is a totally different machine with the Ecutec. It's smooth, seamless, and very very fast. Also, Shiv set it up for 93 octane-Yay!

It was $750 just for the reflash, but from my perspective worth every penny.

Vishnu rules.

Regards:cool:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, most everyone seems happy with a reflash done via ECUtek....and most everyone seems to be happy with the tuning work that Vishnu has done.

I think the question is if you can get an equally good product for half the price it would be all that much better! Worth every penny and then some.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dangrass:

Your point is a good one, however I look at this way: if I needed brain surgery (and an ECU reflash is analagous to brain surgery for your Rex) I would be less concerned with price and much more concerned with experience. Just as the brain surgeons at Mass General are the best in the world so too are the folks at Vishnu.

Just a thought:cool:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm with you, but it seems to me that pricing for Subaru ECU stuff has been higher than what has been the case for other vehicles with similar technical challenges....VW 1.8t's for example. As someone who earns a living in high tech, I know that pricing for "intellectual property" is more a function of what the market will bear than a function of what the product costs to produce. In the case of Subaru ECU stuff the lack of competition resulted in some pretty stiff pricing, so the advent of more competition is going to benefit the consumer in a big way.

It will be interesting to get some real data comparing the Cobb product to the Vishnu product. If in fact the Vishnu product is better, then I would agree that the price delta may be justified, but I am tempted to believe that Cobb is just as capable as Vishnu in altering an ECU program given an equally good tool and a dyno. Assuming that the Access tool allows all the same variables to be tweaked as ECUtek, it seems that Cobb is as capable at tweaking as Vishnu. This guy (Cobb) seems to have a very good reputation, no?

·
Registered
103 Posts
MidRex said:
Have you even seen the "Conebasher"?
Got to sit in it while they were still building it. That thing is a monster, just plain sick. The ultimate expression of the WRX I've ever seen - a supercar beater in every way for blue collar dough. [sniffle] Almost brings tears to my eyes:D :D :D

Shiv's a good tuner, but Cobb is an all out first class racing and motorsports shop that's proven to be dominating on every scene it competes in - it just so happens that they prefer Subaru's:)

I'm a pretty big Cobb fan if you couldn't tell. I can't wait till I get my reflash from them

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Gentlemen, I recently spoke with the people at TurboXs and I think a TurboXs reflash might be worth waiting for.

X

·
Registered
64 Posts
Any hints Mr.X??

Pricing, etc.??

A tax refund check is burning a hole in my pocket, but I think patience might be the proper course of action...

It would be nice to go with TurboXS since I am pleased with the quality of the products I have purchased from them so far.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As much as I respect WRX tuners such as Vishnu (ECUtek) and TurboXS, the truth of the matter is Cobb is just as capable a tuner.............with a comparable product at half the price. The other guys are going to have to make some tough decisions really quick. All of my research on WRX engine management and the recent reviews of the Access ECU are making my decision very easy.

Jimbo

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
TurboXs is supposed to offer a lower cost reflash soon. But I agree, Cobb is very good. I believe a call to TurboXs might help you out. Why don't you give them a buzz? It might be worth knowing the full range of choices before you decide.

X

·
Registered
175 Posts
MisterX said:
TurboXs is supposed to offer a lower cost reflash soon. But I agree, Cobb is very good. I believe a call to TurboXs might help you out. Why don't you give them a buzz? It might be worth knowing the full range of choices before you decide.

X
I just spoke with Nathan (i think that's who it was) and he told me that he is sittin on ECUtek software but they aren't offering it now...and probably not till summer.

Dunno if this is the same thing that MisterX is talking about, but I can't wait till summer...i need to have it NOW

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I thought it was going to be sooner than summer. Maybe they don't want to compete with their own product - UTEC. That would make perfect sense.

X

·
Registered
63 Posts
For now I think the main differences of the initial flashes for Ecutek and AccessECU are which mods the tuners did their initial work.

COBB uses APS turbos- a variation of the IHI VF 30. Ecutek's initial work was done on an VF24- with MRT TMIC, up/downpipe, no fuel or engine management.

And I believe both the Ecutek and AccessECU are proprietary- those who "discovered" or cracked the ECU code sell their method. they can modify similar engine parameters. But which one is more user friendly?

It sounds like Cobb will be selling reflash kits or you may have to vivit an authorized COBB dealer. The Ecutek may be able to be modified through an in-dash device- not sure. But the cost of the AccessECU is great!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts