Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting my stock ecu remapped and narrowed it down to 2 tuners. Both use the ECUTek system. They are Renick Motor Sports which is in Fullerton (http://www.isrperformance.com) and GT Motorsports in Ranch Cucamonga (http://www.gtmotorsports.com). Renick does not have a dyno and they just have the predefined maps that they load up. They said that they'll charge $775. GT Motorsports doesn't believe in the predefined maps and start from scratch and tune the car up on a dyno. They charge $1050. My question is it the extra $275 worth it to get it tuned on a dyno? Has anybody had any experience with the two tuners?

·
1,911 Posts
Well, number one, after dynoing a variety of cars many with similar setups I can tell yuo that NO 2 cars are the same. Generic maps are just that. They are tuned to the lowest common demoninator in order to be safe for any car. A custom tuning will ALWAYS net excellent power gains. On a stock turbo it's not uncommon for me to get a customer 20 more whp than a generic mapping. On a large turbo setup 30-40 whp is common. That price seems a bit high for a dyno tuned chip. I charge $1300 installed and tuned for the UTEC which is far superior than the ECU reflash.

·
Registered
95 Posts
originally posted by god:
I charge $1300 installed and tuned for the UTEC which is far superior than the ECU reflash.
Hmmm.... That's funny, is that why Vishnu and Cobb don't use the UTEC. :rolleyes: You think they decided on second rate stuff? From what I understand the ECU reflash has more potental and can control alot more of the parameters within the ECU.

·
1,911 Posts
Hmm, well I will soon offer both but I will still use the UTEC for the more involved setups. THey both offer nice features but the safety margin on the UTEC I prefer over the ECU safety margins. Plus this way people can do some tweaking if necessary.

·
Registered
111 Posts
While those gains that god quoted might be reasonable for a UTEC, I don't think they apply to a re-flash. UTEC base maps are known to be fairly bad, and always need custom tuning on the road or the dyno. The reflash maps have enough of a range that the ECU can decide to push the car harder as conditions permit.

Kevin

·
1,911 Posts
Mattr762 said:
Hmmm.... That's funny, is that why Vishnu and Cobb don't use the UTEC. :rolleyes: You think they decided on second rate stuff? From what I understand the ECU reflash has more potental and can control alot more of the parameters within the ECU.
Vishnu and Cobb are competitors to Turbo XS. Of course they will not use their competitor's product even if it does work better. That goes without saying.

·
Registered
142 Posts
not sure why you're ripping on dan for using the utec.....the battle over which is better, utec or re-flash has been beaten to death when shiv first introduce that he's going to be doing re-flash

the re-flash is great for stealthi-ness and hassle free mod

the utec is great for someone who enjoys tweaking their car

both offter great potential, just in a slightly different way

one cavieat about re-flashes though, you're more or less stuck w/one tuner, and there is a limit on how many time the ecu can be re-flash

choose wisely

·
Registered
95 Posts
capt'n'caveman,
Not really ripping on dan. His quote rubbed me the wrong way. Say that the UTEC is far superior than the ECU reflash is really misleading. Maybe he needs to reword that comment.

Vishnu and Cobb can control just as much if not more parameters of the factory ECU with the reflashing technology. And for people like me that have a set plan/budget for their car and will only reflash it once or twice the AccessECU is the perfect solution.

·
1,911 Posts
If you're only going to reflash once or twice the flash is fine but to be honest with you most people certainly don't end up that way and it does get pricey for the reflashing. The ECUtek is dcarn expensive. I'm looking at possibly doing reflashing in the near future but want a solution that is affordable to customers so that I will have a nice entry level product for people apart from the more expensive UTEC. I still think the UTEC is usually a better solution for folks because of the safety and convenience features built into it as well as the ability to see if there is a problem with the datalogging and the knock warning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts