Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the mods I currently have, I was planning on throwing on a MRT front mount around winter of 2003. Since that I have pretty much the basic bolt ons after that, I wanted to cap my performance mods with some tuning. My logical step was to go with a MRT TMS stage 3 boost controller kit (with intercooler spray). Yet now the guy who was directing me with my mods said that it isn't nessessary now.

Since my car is pretty much a stealth, I was skeptical about the boost controller because of warrenty and reliablity issues.

So my questions are:

What would be the HP difference between the kit and a simple Ecutek reflashing?

I went to the Ecutek page, and didn't understand how this works, what makes it so different from a physical controller?

Is Ecutek more reliable for the longivity of the car than a boost controller?

I saw in the other posts that there is around a 40 hp crank gain, with my mods plus the TMIC, what gain should I expect?

Thanks as always,

-Alan

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would much prefer to have the Ecutek reflash than a boost controller. In fact, Monday, I'm having the reflash done and removing my EBC since it will no longer be needed.

Unless you really like doing your own tuning (UTEC), the general consesus is that the Ecutek reflash is the way to go. The stock WRX computer is very advanced as it is, and will be much better when it's programmed for your mods.

I have a VF35 turbo, and was told by my shop that my boost will be 16 or 17 psi after the reflash. I'm also having the fuel system upgraded. I prefer to boost on the safe side so I'm not concerned with getting more.

I think the issue is much more complex than simply a difference in HP between the boost control and Ecutek reflash. The reflash will give you much better engine management which should result in more power, smoothness, reliability, etc.

The reflash is more expensive than the boost control. It seems to be going for approximately $750-$1,000.

·
Registered
64 Posts
DTsRex,

I notice that you're in Huntington Beach so I'll ask you this quick question.

I am planning on the Ecutek reflash as my next course of action and was wondering if your tuner was local (as in somewhere in HB) or not.

I was probably going to make a road trip to get this done, but if you could reccommend some one reputable and in the neighborhood, it would be convienient.

Thanks
dm

·
Registered
89 Posts
The only shop I know that has this software in Southern California is Renick Subaru in Fullerton. Not too bad a drive from Huntington.

I pick up the car tomorrow evening, or first thing Thursday am. I have high hopes.

Darin

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not trying to hijack your thread or anything but would it be possible to use a EBC with the Ecutek? Would this cause any problems? The only reason I would want to do this is because i'm using a 50 shot and need to keep my boost down while on the bottle. It seems like it would be safer then spraying on the factory ecu.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Turboblown -- Without really knowing exactly how it works, my guess would be that you may be able to still use an ebc with the Ecutek reflash. I would imagine you would simply turn it off when you're done with the 50 shot.

Does anyone else know?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Also, the factory BC has, what some believe, to be limitations. It's just not as fast as aftermarket BC's. So, no matter what engine management one gets, they can't compensate for this limitation. That's what I think...anyone have info to change my mind?

·
Registered
223 Posts
There's no problem with running an MBC with the remap if you want user-adjustability or have no choice in the matter.

Shiv
I'm currently leaning toward getting a reflash and getting rid of my ebc. My only concerns are the growing reports of failed stock solenoids and losing the adjustability.

·
Registered
223 Posts
QuickSilver said:
Also, the factory BC has, what some believe, to be limitations. It's just not as fast as aftermarket BC's. So, no matter what engine management one gets, they can't compensate for this limitation. That's what I think...anyone have info to change my mind?

"While those are max stock boost levels I never knew the stock ECU to hold close to those all the time. What I get now is similiar to the MBC I installed. The turbo spools up and boost climbs to 0.10 rapidly and stays there." - mehlt (Hawaii Ecutek user)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I picked-up my car this evening after having the stock computer reflashed with Ecutek software and installing a Walbro fuel pump and STi injectors. My car has significantly more power in the upper rpm range now.

It was dyno'd as well, but of course the shop forgot to leave a copy of the dyno in my car as I requested. Since I picked it up in the early evening, the service dept. was closed. I'll get it in the morning.

·
Registered
64 Posts
DTsRex,

thanks for the heads up on Rennick doing the Ecutek reflash. They are not too far from HB, so I will probably bug them after my tax refund.

Good luck with your mods.
-dm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts