1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bill from Ispeed tuned my car today

Mods Before Tune: Helix Up/Down Pipe (Catless), Greddy EBC

EBC was removed and tuned

Difference: Power is much smoother. Low end, Top end seems even, no jolty hit that I was seeing with the EBC. I really notice the low end pulling a lot earlier. Bascially it drives like stock, but with a lot more power. I know everyone says that, but thats what came to mind

The tune didnt take much time at all, maybe 2hrs. He has all his maps dialed in, he's tuned so many. I was really impressed.

Anyway people can have their own opinions: Ecutek, UTEC, Cobb but I post on what I've personally experienced and nothing else. I've driven the others and decided Ecutek was best for ME and it's only been 1 day but I'm sure liking what I've seen thus far

Best part for me is not having to do a damn thing, just turn the key and drive. If I decide the next level: turbo,fuel pump, injectors I have no problem spending a few hundred making sure it's tuned correctly and again not having to worry and do a damn thing myself. This is one of the main reason why I prefer Ecutek

I didnt want to be one of the many people saying you can tune UTEC yourself but they end up spending money to have one of these guys tune if for them anyway, doesnt make sense

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just hung out and ran with my friend who has the same mods: Up pipe/TBE but has Cobb Stage 2 vs. my Ecutek and different brand pipes

I have: Helix up/down (straight pipe) and Ecutek

He has: Godspeed up/down (straight pipe) and Cobb Stage 2

both 91 oct gas which is socal premium as good as it gets, lol

My car is clearly faster at any speed. Pulls harder low end and top end.

We switched cars and the Ecutek car still spanked the Cobb Stage 2. On average the Ecutek car had the Cobb car beat by the beginning of the back door at anywhere from 80-100mph.

That was the consitant distance at most mph's over 60mph

Be haters all you want, reality sucks sometimes.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Glad you're happy with your purchase...

but you should expect an individually dyno-tuned vehicle to perform significantly better than one running a generic "staged" map.

Your investment paid off. I doubt it's because of anything inherently superior in the ECUtek reflash vs. Cobb's technique.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
0db said:
but you should expect an individually dyno-tuned vehicle to perform significantly better than one running a generic "staged" map.

Your investment paid off. I doubt it's because of anything inherently superior in the ECUtek reflash vs. Cobb's technique.
Exactly. A fair contest would be one where your friend with the same mods gets a custom tune by Trey Cobb. You're comparing apples to oranges.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm just posting my experience, just like all the Cobb threads that flood these boards. I've driven a few Cobb Stage 2 cars and they run fine, not knocking them as they have a ton of satisfied customers.

"Your investment paid off. I doubt it's because of anything inherently superior in the ECUtek reflash vs. Cobb's technique." (odb)

A point can also be made that most Cobb customers don't live in Utah where these devices are designed in higher altitudes and thats where some problems are coming from.

·
48,699 Posts
HBPUNK said:
A point can also be made that most Cobb customers don't live in Utah where these devices are designed in higher altitudes and thats where some problems are coming from.
No problems here. I've run Cobb's Stage 1, Stage 2, and VF34 reflashes, here in North Carolina. (about 500 feet above sea level.) All maps have functioned flawlessly. Most problems I've heard about from Cobb users are a result of the owner refusing to use the correct equipment for the map.

In "posting your experience", it comes through that you might have some confusion about the difference between a tuned car and a base mapped car.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have been researching all this engine mgnt. since last december & almost ordered a stg. 2 Acceport.

Then I changed my mind. I think the AP has a good thing going on however I want a ecu reflash & tune that will be perfectly condusive to my driving habits, my elevation, my heat, my hummidity, etc..........

I know the COBB AP is great & I'm not sayin its not but I need more than the butt dyno for my proven performance. I want to flash it, tune it, dyno it & then haul ass in it!!!!

For me I choose Ecutec!!!

Check out the dyno specs at

www.dyno-comp.com

.02 by J.D.

·
48,699 Posts
Ecutek is proven, good stuff. You'll be happy with your choice.

·
Registered
307 Posts
J.D. said:
I want to flash it, tune it, dyno it & then haul ass in it!!!!
Might I suggest you dyno it, tune it, and THEN flash it?

Actually I guess it's all sort of simultaneous eh?

:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts