ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my STI tuned with Ecutek after installing the APS turboback exhaust and Injen's RD1200 CAI. If I were to change to a different intake, would it effect my engine adversely. Would it make it run leaner/richer. I guess what I'm asking is if I would have to have it re-tuned or not. I've sent emails to both Injen and the folks who tuned my ride, but have gotten no response, so I was hoping the guru's here could help. Thanks

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
You may have to get it retuned as every intake is different. The MAF readings get thrown off very easily... I believe if you go larger diameter it will be leaner, smaller diameter will be richer. Should be safe to drive until you are able to retune though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
SonicYellowWRX is correct in regards to the diameter of the intake, as the intake size increases the MAF will not be calibrated for the bigger diameter. Since it was calibrated for something smaller there is extra air flowing by the sensor that is not being read. This extra air is not taken into consideration when the ECU adds in fuel, so the car will run leaners.

Where as if you go smaller then you will run richer, which is far safer. Now were did you learn this info Yellow? ;)

Cheers,
Bill Knose
Lead Programmer
I-Speed USaA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts