Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ECU Location? - Apexi Auto Timer Install

Kind of a dumb question, but I'd rather ask than unnecessarily tear up the carpet in my new subie to find out...

Where exactly is the ECU located and what's the best way to get to it?

I'm wiring in an Apexi Auto Timer tomorrow and i need to tap the ECU. Also, what's the best way to rip apart my steering column and all the plastic around the parking brake? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Under the passenger footwell. Take out the 2 plastic screws in the upper right hand corner, pull back the carpeting and take out the 4 bolts for the metal cover. The ECU is underneath.

Calvin
 

·
Moderating U!
Joined
·
4,192 Posts
First of all. Did you buy your turbo timer with a harness for the WRX? It is not necessary to tap into the ECU for a turbo timer if you buy the harness strictly for the WRX. I am running a Blitz Dual DC turbo timer and I used the harness for a WRX and it just plugs right in.

This link might help you a bit with some questions you have and/or concerns.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4094&highlight=pink+wire

But if you need to know. The ECU is underneath the carpet in the passenger side of the car right underneath the glove box.

Good luck.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KurleeDaddeeWRX said:
First of all. Did you buy your turbo timer with a harness for the WRX? It is not necessary to tap into the ECU for a turbo timer if you buy the harness strictly for the WRX.
Yes, i am using the Apexi Auto Timer with the HKS wiring harness (they fit perfectly). I am tapping into the ECU because the Auto Timer has an A/F monitor on it and can (according to other posts that i read after i got my TT) inacurrately read the A/F of the car. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it still seems to be a cool feature to have, regardless of whether it's actually accurate or not (<--that's funny). So, the process involves splicing into the O2 sensor wire (which i have already found... it shipped with pinout diagrams for my car). They also reccomend using a ground tap on the ECU for the ground of the module. 2 good reasons to try and find my ecu this afternoon :D

I am running a Blitz Dual DC turbo timer and I used the harness for a WRX and it just plugs right in. This link might help you a bit with some questions you have and/or concerns.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4094&highlight=pink+wire

But if you need to know. The ECU is underneath the carpet in the passenger side of the car right underneath the glove box.
Good luck.
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
Thanks, kurlee. Since I'm not using the alarm and just the factory keyless entry, the discussion on the thread about the alarm wire, etc isn't really for me. HOWEVER, your discussion on the parking brake wire tap is going to come in real handy when im screaming and pulling out my hair trying to figure out what the f*ck to do or what the hell im doing wrong later. I have a feeling that thread's gonna save me some pain...

Thanks! i'll need the good luck too... so thanks for that. :D

Oh yeah, one last q (hopefuliy)... do you (or anyone else) have any advice for ripping apart the steering column and parking brake center consol thingy? Any things you learned while doing it, so that i can apply as much finess as possible... a scratched new car sucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cnk said:
Under the passenger footwell. Take out the 2 plastic screws in the upper right hand corner, pull back the carpeting and take out the 4 bolts for the metal cover. The ECU is underneath.

Calvin
Thanks calvin.... sounds easy enough. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Did you eventually get to the pink wire for the parking brake wire? Or is there an easier way to access it?

jonowrx said:


Yes, i am using the Apexi Auto Timer with the HKS wiring harness (they fit perfectly). I am tapping into the ECU because the Auto Timer has an A/F monitor on it and can (according to other posts that i read after i got my TT) inacurrately read the A/F of the car. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it still seems to be a cool feature to have, regardless of whether it's actually accurate or not (<--that's funny). So, the process involves splicing into the O2 sensor wire (which i have already found... it shipped with pinout diagrams for my car). They also reccomend using a ground tap on the ECU for the ground of the module. 2 good reasons to try and find my ecu this afternoon :D



Thanks, kurlee. Since I'm not using the alarm and just the factory keyless entry, the discussion on the thread about the alarm wire, etc isn't really for me. HOWEVER, your discussion on the parking brake wire tap is going to come in real handy when im screaming and pulling out my hair trying to figure out what the f*ck to do or what the hell im doing wrong later. I have a feeling that thread's gonna save me some pain...

Thanks! i'll need the good luck too... so thanks for that. :D

Oh yeah, one last q (hopefuliy)... do you (or anyone else) have any advice for ripping apart the steering column and parking brake center consol thingy? Any things you learned while doing it, so that i can apply as much finess as possible... a scratched new car sucks.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top