1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
299 Posts
Send the seller a question asking where the car is located and how he'd like payment. Then CC that e-mail to ebay so they can delete the auction. There was a Viper in Paris too and that auction got shut down. It's a scam.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Looks like ebay removed it now.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've got something similar in Greece as this French thing, an 04 STi for 10k. I'm trying to get more info on this, but I'm playing it smart before I get myself into trouble. The seller's name was pigs800, email name is Peter Speechley. Please let me know if this is similar to what you guys have seen in the past.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,004 Posts
IDWRX said:
I've got something similar in Greece as this French thing, an 04 STi for 10k. I'm trying to get more info on this, but I'm playing it smart before I get myself into trouble. The seller's name was pigs800, email name is Peter Speechley. Please let me know if this is similar to what you guys have seen in the past.
Don't even think of it.

A HDM (Hellenic domestic market!) 2.0L Impreza WRX STi costs over $45K USD.

Foreigners are allowed to drive their vehicles on our soil for a specific time period before having to either leave or pay customs duty on the car. The former is orders of magnitude easier than the latter.

Shipping a vehicle to Pireaus on a boat costs a considerable amount of money, and very few people want to do it more than once. Those that do typically aren't picking up the bill, their firm or their gov't is.

There is a REMOTE, RARE possibility of legitimate offers in that pricerange on newer vehicles of that calibre, BUT NOT for anyone except permanent residents of foreign countries temporarily in Greece - and the next buyer is then stuck with the choice of paying customs duty eventually or leaving the country with the car.

What address is the vehicle at (seriously, what do they claim)?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm still waiting to get that information, I requested it last night as well as photographs of the car, the VIN plate, and a detailed explanation why it is so cheap. With the VIN I can check with Subaru of America who the vehicle is registered to, as well as Interpol and other law enforcement. I have friends with SoA, and I work for Citigroup so I have access to a lot of international databases for finance and law enforcement. I'll let you guys know what happens step by step and thanks for the help!

·
Registered
91 Posts
ITs a scam, same thing happen to my dad and a 3000gt, my dad thought it was ligit because the way the guy had it down he had it already registered with a transportation company and it seemed secure, but it turned out that the trasnportation company was owned by his buddy and after my dad paid him the downpayment (thank god it wasnt much) the buddy just trashed papers

·
Registered
0 Posts
In that case I want to trail this bastard along until I have enough information to get him busted. There's enough crap in this world without them using our Subies for evil.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,004 Posts
Yes the more I think of it the less sense it makes.

Let's assume the US car is in Greece (assuming he's selling a HDM car abroad is tenfold more ridiculous, so let's just say he's got a USDM car that he's shipped there).

- If he paid to ship it there, and he paid to buy the thing, why would he swallow $20,000 loss?
- If his firm or gov't paid to ship it there, they'll pay to ship it to the next place he's xfered to. This is a legit option, as recently thousands of professionals and gov't/mil/milint types ended up crowding our esteemed pubs and cafes for months on end. So why not just have them deal with his car?
- If it's got local plates, it's been past customs and he can sell it locally for a huge profit after 24 months (they make you sit on it just for fun and so that you don't make a living of gray market imports - and a USDM car there is gray market).
- If it's not got local plates, it's still cheaper to sell to another foreigner (just a wild guess, NONE of my countrymend have the surname "Speechley!") that's there temporarily. The next person will drive it around for a few months, then either take it away with them or continue the cycle etc.

Doesn't make sense. I suspect the fellow simply used GR as the location since it's in Europe, fitting the scam M.O., and it's in people's mind this and every summer.

I'd say don't waste your time chasing this guy down.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thank you, SD_GR. I'll have to dedicate my time towards my wife's WRX until I can afford the XT. I hope she doesn't mind too much when I'm shopping for mods over her shoulder. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts