ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Æternum
20,680 Posts
I bet it snaps a belt and you lose your power steering in short order.

I wouldn't do it...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks but is the perrin pulley brand good?

thanks but is the perrin pulley brand good?

·
Æternum
20,680 Posts
Perrin is a well known brand and as such, their quality is fairly good. As for the pulley, I have a Perrin LCP and I really don't think it is worth the $50 I paid (used), but some may disagree.

Why don't you start by telling us your car and mods?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wrx

i have a 2003 wrx it has a full exhaust system downpipe, upipe no cats, and reflashed to stage 2 with cobb accessport, what would be the best next mod? and my transmission is starting to go bad thanks

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
i have a 2003 wrx it has a full exhaust system downpipe, upipe no cats, and reflashed to stage 2 with cobb accessport, what would be the best next mod? and my transmission is starting to go bad thanks
My next mod would be to fix the trans. Any power increases will certainly shorten the life of what sounds like an already limited time you have with your transmission.

·
"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre"
2,190 Posts
Continuing to mod a car that is on its way to being inoperative...... is....... well........ silly.

With that..... "Some" parts you can skimp on and buy no-name brands. Some you cannot.

This is just my "personal" rule.... but it has worked for me.

1) If it "moves"... buy quality trusted brand-name parts.
2) If failure of the part renders your car inop.... buy quality parts.

If it's just a "hard" part, with no moving parts.... go ahead and save some $.

I've had decent luck. I bought a "budget" exhaust, and it has lasted longer than most high $$$ exhausts.

I've bought a rear strut brace, and an undercarriage brace. Once again, great purchases.

I purchased a Glowshift A-pillar pod. I would NEVER buy those POS gauges... but I figured the pod wouldn't hurt. I was wrong. Total poorly-fitting crap. So I lost out on that one... but luckily it didn't render my car inop, nor did it cost me a fortune.

Hope this helps.

·
Æternum
20,680 Posts
1) If it "moves"... buy quality trusted brand-name parts.
2) If failure of the part renders your car inop.... buy quality parts.
This is essentially my take on performance parts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
??

Thanks all of you for the help and how could I go about the transmission problem??

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts
my transmission is starting to go bad thanks
Thanks all of you for the help and how could I go about the transmission problem??
We're going to need some more information about your transmission issue.
What do you mean starting to go bad? What is the issue? Grinding noise? Clutch problem? Won't go in to a Gear? Sounds like a garbage bin full of broken glass being shaken around?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trans

It grinds really really loud and when I'm moving when I want to put it into first gear it won't go in unless I come to a complete stop and when I shift the car shakesreally bad and it's not that I can't shift because I drive a hatch and I shift it right and thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
Most of the time, you shouldn't be going BACK into first if you're already moving... right? And it sounds like the clutch is dropping into gear pretty hard, but heck if i know how to fix it.

·
Æternum
20,680 Posts
Can anybody help me
Sure, we can all offer suggestions... the synchros are screwed, you need to replace the throwout bearing (clutch not fully disengaging), etc. Above all else, I would take the car into a good mechanic ASAP! The transmission is one of the most expensive pieces of a car and not worth taking a gamble!

·
"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre"
2,190 Posts
It grinds really really loud and when I'm moving when I want to put it into first gear it won't go in unless I come to a complete stop and when I shift the car shakesreally bad and it's not that I can't shift because I drive a hatch and I shift it right and thanks
Silly question - When is the last time the gear oil was changed?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
trans

the transmission oil was change like 4 months ago and i have read about ppg gears and straight cut ect. how would i go about this buying them? cost? who could install them and what would be the price that a shop should charge more for this so i wont get charged more thanks again

·
Æternum
20,680 Posts
the transmission oil was change like 4 months ago and i have read about ppg gears and straight cut ect. how would i go about this buying them? cost? who could install them and what would be the price that a shop should charge more for this so i wont get charged more thanks again
You're looking at about $4000 or so for 1-4 straight cut PPGs plus install (likely add another $500 for new synchros). While you're in there, I would consider uprating your front diff with an LSD diff. But honestly, do you really need PPGs? Consider a LGT gearset or something that is slightly more stout than WRX gears. I know that AndrewTech in Gaithersburg is one of the best gearbox shops that the Subaru community has to offer. You might want to give them a call for a quote at the very least. They'll tell you the best and cheapest gears to purchase for your target torque.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
trans

okay thanks what are the LGT gearset and what price range are they around and for install also and are this gears strong like good for racing once and a while not to often but not weak like the 02 wrx transmissions and is there any good shop near Huntsville, al for this

1 - 20 of 21 Posts