ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is this tmic on Ebay that has no brand name , cost $129+shipping ,and measures 20''x8''x4.5''. It also says that the driver side mounting bracket will need to be modified & the factory y pipe needs to be cut . Does this seem like a good deal ? Also do you think it will mount up easily and fit properly ? any info would be greatly appreciated .

·
SuperNova
11,905 Posts
There is this tmic on Ebay that has no brand name , cost $129+shipping ,and measures 20''x8''x4.5''. It also says that the driver side mounting bracket will need to be modified & the factory y pipe needs to be cut . Does this seem like a good deal ? Also do you think it will mount up easily and fit properly ? any info would be greatly appreciated .
They fit like pooo and those aren't accurate dimensions. Thats close to the core dimensions. Its really like 21.5" bolt spacing (youd have to build a "passenger side bracket" "drivers side in add refers to JDM driver") the IC really measures 11.5-13" tall (gonna hit AC line and rub on it) x 4.5" thick.

The factory y pipe isn't gonna fit right, so you'd have to either buy the "ebay y-pipe" or "samco y pipe" that bolts on the factory Subi aluminum turn downs.

If it were me, I'd buy either the STI TMIC or the Spearco or APS one.

Not worth it. Don't buy it. End of the day after the pain and suffering an STI TMIC is cheaper.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
The xs power one is good. They are fine, not perfect, but they work well. There is an ebay review thread in the product review forum.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, all it was going to take was one bad review and I got 2 so , I definatly won't buy that one. Any reccomendations for a good tmic (cheap) ? Also , are used ones just as good as new ones ? Thanks

·
SuperNova
11,905 Posts
Well, all it was going to take was one bad review and I got 2 so , I definatly won't buy that one. Any reccomendations for a good tmic (cheap) ? Also , are used ones just as good as new ones ? Thanks
Used STI TMIC. I got mine for $160 used with ypipe. You can pick them up for $200-$300 all day long. Used is fine as long as it aint broke.

·
Registered
483 Posts
They fit like pooo and those aren't accurate dimensions. Thats close to the core dimensions. Its really like 21.5" bolt spacing (youd have to build a "passenger side bracket" "drivers side in add refers to JDM driver") the IC really measures 11.5-13" tall (gonna hit AC line and rub on it) x 4.5" thick.

The factory y pipe isn't gonna fit right, so you'd have to either buy the "ebay y-pipe" or "samco y pipe" that bolts on the factory Subi aluminum turn downs.

If it were me, I'd buy either the STI TMIC or the Spearco or APS one.

Not worth it. Don't buy it. End of the day after the pain and suffering an STI TMIC is cheaper.
lol spent much time researching fmic's?

·
SuperNova
11,905 Posts
lol spent much time researching fmic's?
YUP. There is no need for one until you do a turbo swap larger than a 20g. Anything below that I would ditch my STI TMIC in favor of a Spearco unit.

My problem with FMIC's is that they make you remove the bumper beam. If you get into a bad front crash then the insurance company can deny your claim based upon the fact that you removed safety equipment. Same as if you took your door off and got hit from the side.

For FMIC I would source one that allowed use of either a JDM front beam, or build my own kit that allowed the crash beam to be retained.

I do like the APS 525 unit because the end caps have smooth transitions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought the TurboXS TMIC off ebay, the actual intercooler is very well made, no instructions for fitting, the y-pipe is adequate, the hose to the turbo needed cutting down and neither of the brackets picked up on mounts. But there again, you get what you pay for... its on for now, but i plan to make some nice new mounts and paint them blue :rolleyes: cant complain about the quality of the ali or the welding, just a bit of a bad fit, goes on well enough though, and looks ace.

All in all i would recommend it

·
Registered
280 Posts
only ebay intercooler that i hear is ok is sschrome

1 - 11 of 11 Posts