ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so Ive got an 02 wrx with 124k on body, and 50k on motor. sti vf-39 turbo and sti injectors. Check engine light came on and since then been EATING GAS, guy i bought car from said he got it checked out and it came up as 02 sensor failure. (i bought car knowing this, the guy was real nice, i gotta a decent deal) Car still runs and drives pretty well. let me know what you think, thanks

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Need the code number in order to provide any kind of assistance here. Considering there are hundreds of codes, we could sit here all day long and guess what it could be and never get it right.

Go to your local parts store (depending on where you are Autozone or O'Reilly's typically) to have the code pulled for free.

·
Æternum
20,621 Posts
I HAVE A COBB ACCSES PORT MAPPER AND COADE READER AND I RECHARGERDED THE K&N FILTER AND HAD THE SAME PROBLEM
Probably because you're not supposed to use an oiled filter with an MAF metered car. Get some MAF cleaner from Advanced auto parts or whatever and go to town.

OP there are hundreds of different codes your ECU can produce. We can't help you unless we know what your ECU knows. BTW what engine management and fuel pump are you running?

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Could very well be the issue there Brad, but it isn't necessarily guaranteed to be the problem. New members often forget or don't know that in order to troubleshoot an OBD car effectively, the code needs to be provided to even know where to start. Thanks for posting up your experience though.

That K&N oil is hell on MAF sensors, that's for sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok heres the thing, i just bought this car knowing that there was a CEL, the guy i bought it from was really cool, real nice, sad hed help me out with anything i needed. he had the car read and it came up as an 02 sensor failure. he said it came on a few weeks ago and since then has been eating gas. Car runs pretty good. (i posted this to see what you guys thought, cuz i want to buy new 02 sensor and i was wondering if you guys defiantly think this could be the problem???) otherwise ill jus go get it checked out at a shop, but i dont want to. thank, sorry for the little trick.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
As Cody said, it's impossible to troubleshoot without having the code(s).

Please post those and we can probably help get you started on the road to fixing it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
o and free, ya ill go to autozone, thanks. but ya what do u think, came up as 02 sensor (what guy said)

·
Æternum
20,621 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa... You bought the car modified with an aftermarket turbo and don't have engine management capable of reading an obdii code? You have potentially a lot more to worry about than just a code...

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Well, there are several codes for the O2 sensor, and a couple of them don't necessarily indicate that the O2 sensor needs to be replaced. So, go to autozone, get that code pulled, then come back and we'll help you decide the best course of action. :)

And as Zach said, there may be more issues needing to be addressed here than just your CEL. Can you post up all of the modifications that have been done to the vehicle?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
^^^^^^^ +453 what they said...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
aww man u gettin me worried, it was dynoed at 270hp, ive got all receipts. heres list.....
------
vf-39 turbo
sti injectors
front mount intercooler
hks blow off
hks exhaust
stage 2 clutch
--------
i believe thats everything, performance wise

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
So it was dynoed, but was it tuned on that dyno as well? If so, do you know who did the tuning? Just need to make sure that the car has been properly tuned for that setup. If not, well... let's just hope that it was.

·
Æternum
20,621 Posts
We don't mean to scare you, we just need to know the full story. If that is indeed the full mod list, a catless uppipe should be in your near future for safety reasons.

Just get your codes read, and let us know the results. It might be in your best interest to pick up a Tactrix cable soon.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
aww man u gettin me worried, it was dynoed at 270hp, ive got all receipts. heres list.....
------
vf-39 turbo
sti injectors
front mount intercooler
hks blow off
hks exhaust
stage 2 clutch
--------
i believe thats everything, performance wise
It should really be running a larger fuel pump with the larger injectors. I've never heard of the tuner, but I'd really question somebody at a dealer tuning it since it's rare for a dealer to have a dyno.

I do mean to scare you a bit because you really need to know about the tune with a car with that list of mods or you could blow your motor. It's especially concerning that the car is throwing codes and not running perfectly. Personally, if I were you, I wouldn't drive that car until you know exactly what the tune is. If you have to drive it, I'd drive it like a 100 year old grandma and keep the revs below 2500 and never try and hit boost or floor it at all until you can get it checked out.

So you didn't get any info at all about the tune other than the person who did it? Zero zip nada nothing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
cars been driving fine with mods for just over 24000 miles. have receipt proof with odometer reading and all. MSPT (Metric Subaru) on Long Island by Dave Brown, apparently a good rated dude and great reviews on entire place based on some internet research. 19*lbs of boost 270horse.thanks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts