ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WS6: Loud as a mofo with sticky
Sti: 2nd cat removed

I hate starting off with "I was minding my own biz, cuz I usually never do". But this time, the hunter was the hunted....

I watched this WS6 fly past me to provoke a vet in front of me. It was a old man and a old lady so they didn't bite. He decided to focus his attention to me instead once he got bored with the vet.

Finally got a chance to run him after turning off to a empty stretch of road on the way home. He started about a car length behind me and when WOT. I followed suit (still in 1st gear) going bout 20 mph and managed to hold my lead. It was a complete blur to me this time cuz I've never raced anything so potent. All I know is the STI stood its ground til around 70mph or so, then the WS6 started to walk me and I saw its taillights about 80ish.

I'm sure it would've been ugly if we would've kept on going. But I feel good hanging with one on a roll for 5-6 secs :D

Good grieve, just bought the car 2 wks ago and I'm already itching to get a big turbo..... AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Edit: 3rd to 2nd

·
Registered
300 Posts
Nice run, you get that boost issue worked out? Last time out at the track I ran a LS-1 camaro that was pretty damn loud. Mods/trans unknown. My 1/8 mile was 8.700 @ 82.33, his: 8.897 @ 81.81. By the 1/4 I had ran a 13.488 @ 101.76, he ran a 13.620 @ 104.43. Of course my crappy r/t left me a few cars back:p Once rolling those things are really quick!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure if I'm having a boost issue still... scooby24 helped me last weekend at the BBQ resetting the ECU and its still only hitting .09 MPa on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear. I'm starting to think that it might be the boost gauge being off (Its a stock boost gauge, not sure how accurate they are).

Its definitely a rush racing those T/A. The one I race was so loud it drown out my car. I think I would've build a pretty good lead if we went from a stop. He prolly won't catch me til over 100.

I'd luv to take a ride in your stg 4 sometime. I bet its a beast

:eek:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure. But those people showed a lot of class by not giving them what they want.

I however, am weak minded and couldn't pass up on a chance to race a worthy foe. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
820 Posts
3rd cat removed?? I thought the STi only had 2 to begin with. Do you mean the 2nd cat from the turbo?

VV

AsianWRX said:
Sti: 3rd cat removed

I hate starting off with "I was minding my own biz, cuz I usually never do". But this time, the hunter was the hunted....

I watched this WS6 fly past me to provoke a vet in front of me. It was a old man and a old lady so they didn't bite. He decided to focus his attention to me instead once he got bored with the vet.

Finally got a chance to run him after turning off to a empty stretch of road on the way home. He started about a car length behind me and when WOT. I followed suit (still in 1st gear) going bout 20 mph and managed to hold my lead. It was a complete blur to me this time cuz I've never raced anything so potent. All I know is the STI stood its ground til around 70mph or so, then the WS6 started to walk me and I saw its taillights about 80ish.

I'm sure it would've been ugly if we would've kept on going. But I feel good hanging with one on a roll for 5-6 secs :D

Good grieve, just bought the car 2 wks ago and I'm already itching to get a big turbo..... AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still thinking of my wrx, sry :tongue:

The axleback is removed. So yes, my 2nd cat is removed :D

Can't wait til I race another one. I'm hungry for a fun race!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was a corvette. Sry :tongue:
I'm so used to writing shorthand on this board, I can see how its so easily confused!

·
Registered
464 Posts
AsianWRX said:
Sti: 3rd cat removed
nice....but an sti don't have a 3rd....it would be consider the second ;)

hehe

·
Registered
773 Posts
Stoplight i need a breakdown on this. Difference between WS6 and Firehawk please.

I had a WS6 trying to get me to race. We were at 60MPH and he walked away easily.

Posts some stock stats for both the cars. I thought the firehawk was the big daddy.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
skyjock41 said:
Stoplight i need a breakdown on this. Difference between WS6 and Firehawk please.

I had a WS6 trying to get me to race. We were at 60MPH and he walked away easily.

Posts some stock stats for both the cars. I thought the firehawk was the big daddy.
Powerwise, they are almost exactly the same. For the last model year, it was 325 hp for the WS6 and 335-345 for the Firehawk. However, if you dyno them, all LS1 f-bodies from the same year dyno pretty much the same regardless of what trim level they are. So you could have a Formula dyno more than a Firehawk. It depends on the car more than the trim level.

'98-'00 manual LS1 f-bodies dyno about 280-300whp stock, and '01-'02s dyno anywhere from 310-340whp. The autos dyno lower, of course.

(I'm not Stoplight, so if you wanted to hear it only from him, feel free to ignore my response).

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Hey Mark was it black?

I was on the highway Saturday night and a black WS6 passed by slowly staring me down. I followed suit and when he got in front of me he gunned it trying to pull away. He was pulling hard but for some reason my car was being a champ and kept right behind him. He shut down after he figured out he wasn't losing me and I looked down at my speedo and it was beyond burried so I was going faster than 140. That's the fastest I've ever gone. I didn't really even realize I was going so fast other than my tires were making a weird screaming noise :eek3:

And before you guys get mad there was no one else on the road it was like 2 in the am.

Let me know when you wanna make your STi a beast! I know where you can get a catless DP for your STi for 160 bucks! All you would need to do is port your turbo. So much potential in your car. Let's unlock it! :p

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
zoophagy said:
Powerwise, they are almost exactly the same. For the last model year, it was 325 hp for the WS6 and 335-345...

'98-'00 manual LS1 f-bodies dyno about 280-300whp stock, and '01-'02s dyno anywhere from 310-340whp. The autos dyno lower, of course....
It sounds like they lose very little going from the crank to the wheel..... only 5-35 whp at the most out of a 345hp engine?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
AsianWRX said:
It sounds like they lose very little going from the crank to the wheel..... only 5-35 whp at the most out of a 345hp engine?
It isn't that they lose very little, it's that they are severely underrated by the factory. There are plenty of "310hp" Z28 or Trans Ams that dyno 315 or 320hp at the wheels. It is widely accepted that GM underrated LS1 f-bodies so that they would not upstage the Corvette.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
scooby24 said:
Hey Mark was it black?

I was on the highway Saturday night and a black WS6 passed by slowly staring me down. I followed suit and when he got in front of me he gunned it trying to pull away. He was pulling hard but for some reason my car was being a champ and kept right behind him. He shut down after he figured out he wasn't losing me and I looked down at my speedo and it was beyond burried so I was going faster than 140. That's the fastest I've ever gone. I didn't really even realize I was going so fast other than my tires were making a weird screaming noise :eek3:

And before you guys get mad there was no one else on the road it was like 2 in the am.

Let me know when you wanna make your STi a beast! I know where you can get a catless DP for your STi for 160 bucks! All you would need to do is port your turbo. So much potential in your car. Let's unlock it! :p
Ya, it was a black one. Your car sounds very strong if you kept up with him on the highway. I was afraid to even run him from a roll! ;)

I'm up for the DP, let me know what I need to do to make this happen. Would you know where or who I can go to for porting the turbo?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
zoophagy said:
It isn't that they lose very little, it's that they are severely underrated by the factory. There are plenty of "310hp" Z28 or Trans Ams that dyno 315 or 320hp at the wheels. It is widely accepted that GM underrated LS1 f-bodies so that they would not upstage the Corvette.
Then what is mechnically different from what is in the corvette as oppose to what is in the TA and Cameros?

Just are they the exact same as the 350hp corvette engine?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
AsianWRX said:
Then what is mechnically different from what is in the corvette as oppose to what is in the TA and Cameros?

Just are they the exact same as the 350hp corvette engine?
There are a couple slight differences. There is a different exhaust, and Corvette's have a cam with a few more degrees of intake and exhaust duration (about three on both, I believe).

A lot of f-bodies actually dyno higher than Corvettes. It is supposed to be because that their independent rear suspension is more parasitic than the solid rear axle in f-bodies.

[On a side note, there is no "e" in Camaro.]

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not sure if I can ever justify buying a corvette.... what is it... 15k more for the looks, the brand, and a little technology here and there? No thanks!

Its like trying to sell the Sti with a wrx engine.... *sigh*

1 - 20 of 23 Posts