Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah I know I shouldn't have considering my MAF sensor is dying but I was in a HUGE hurry to get to the movie theater to go see Mulholland Drive (which BTW is EXCELLENT but you'll have to watch at least 3 times) but I just had to. I was squirting through traffic at 80-110 MPH. When I run up to a brand new silver M3. Beautiful car. He waits for traffic to clear and gets on it. I follow and I'm sure he's wondering what kind of car this is which is right on his tail on these repeated 80-110 MPH stints. It was about even. He's get a slight lead for a split instant after nailing the throttle but he wasn't pulling on me at all. Eventually he lets me by (I think to just see what kind of car it was). He smiles, younger guy. So we continued to punch our way through traffic when we get to a clear area for at least a mile. I go at it. 90, 100, 110, 120, 130 oh boy. I hit 138 MPH and back off but before I do I see he is pulling on me and would have passed me. At around 125+ the WRX is no match even in my current state. He passes me at over 140 MPH but there's traffic up ahead and my exit is coming up really fast at that speed so I slow down. Amazingly he hauls down and takes the same exit. Man I hate these brakes as they shake like a martini to a stop. He smiles and I wave and we go our seperate ways. On the way to the movie theater I of course obliterate an Eclipse GST. He had a BOV but looked stock otherwise. So there you have it folks. Clearly you need 350 HP+ to play with an M3 at speed. I'll get there but I still would rather have an M3. :(

·
Registered
151 Posts
I stomped a new M5 the other day... nice car, and i would trade in a heartbeat...

They are at a bit of a disadvantage up here though, but it was not close from a 40-100 punch.

The M5 guy (older guy in a derby hat) gave me thumbs up after it was all over.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just curious but what's been done to your car and how did you find out the HP rating? Is that number at the crank or to the wheels?

·
Registered
151 Posts
RNN14 said:
Just curious but what's been done to your car and how did you find out the HP rating? Is that number at the crank or to the wheels?

I am sure Dan will jump in here, but his car has been on a loaded AWD dyno, and that is the figure near the crank... i think he put almost 250 to the wheels...

me on the other hand... i have been on the 1/4 mile dyno ;)

·
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made 251 at the wheels on the AWD dyno at Turbo XS. I'm approximating 20% driveline loss. Granted I'm probably not making that much right now with the colder weather, the broken MAF and the stock airbox and air filter in there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just read your e46 post and the upper-end comments are pretty close to where I would have figured. This is effectively when displacement starts to edge over, and is also where my old S4's really shined most brightly on the top-end where in a modified state you could stare 170 mph in the face. Ever wonder what a cop would do with you if he gunned you at 130+? I have, and I kind of like to get my battles carried out at a lower level to avoidgetting my car out of impound.

Imho your bad MAF could not have helped in this recent joust. I think a re-match is called for.

I am with you on the M3 though, it is a nice package and I will probably own one in the future!

By the way got the gauge thing (defi)done earlier today and am looking forward to getting them installed! Let me know if you didn't get the notice.

JNR

·
Registered
404 Posts
Good run. Very impressive to hang with an M3 at those speeds.
It would have been nice if you both would have lined up at a light. Then you could have showed him where the WRX shines.
The WRX has many things going against it at higher speeds.
I'm sure that M3 owner was scratching his head after that encounter. Humm - That WRX is really fast or my car isn't running right.
I had a 450+hp LS1 z28 stage 2 Heads/cam and I used to leave people wondering what just happened. When you run dead even with a $80k Viper GTS in a stock looking z28 - it leaves the driver with a confused/unhappy look.:D

·
Registered
310 Posts
God, consider a M3 cost almost twice as much and only pull from you after 130+, that prove the WRX is the century bang for the buck. Good show.

Go give them hell :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Long -sorry but I can't help myself

Considering that the new M3 is typically turning mid to high 13 second quarter mile times in the hands of the magazine test drivers, and that maybe with an excellent driver behind the wheel these cars may turn a low 13, I think that modified WRX's are in good company.In its optimal environment a mid-level modded WRX pushing high 12's low 13's should absolutely be able to make a few M Snobs wonder what just happened.

I can also assure you that modifying the new M3 is not going to be all that easy either.The new engines are high rpm wonders that sound like they are about to blow at high revs(and a few actually have). The bottom line is you are not going to get much more hp out of the new e46. Thats the beauty, and at the same time, the achilles heel of the BMW M cars(particularly the E46 version). They are true off the showroom high performance engineering marvels, but its not that easy to one-up the german engineers when trying to get that extra hp. Why do you think BMW is campaigning the V8 M3? Now thats the figgin car to own, to bad we probably won't get the chance!

On the older M-cars unless you decide to super or turbo charge they are typically limited to exhaust,CAI, and engine management software. My MCoupe was "sharked" (Conforti ecu program) and also was equipped with a CAI. This probably netted me an additional 20hp at the crank, and if I would have spent another $1000 I could have added an exhaust and another 10-15 hp. So lets say a couple of thousand dollars for 30-35 hp. You can add some other items like euro MAF and throttle body but these are expensive with questionable return on the hp dollar. After those mods look to the next step a $7500 Dinan supercharger kit with install and warranty you are close to. $13-15k.

Anyway I am really rambling, but the point is that the M-cars are cool, but you do not have to have 400 hp in your WRX to kick an M3's ass! When I read Nathans post about stomping an M5, I thought Hmmmm....??,but then I realized who wrote the post and it suddenly made sense. The numbers are out there and if you can beat a high 12 second quarter mile time you can run with a stock M5. Just don't let them coerce you into a 130mph+ race !! this is a game you will probably lose.

Last thing - I promise! Every performance car I have ever owned has a board, and every group of car owners has what I call a nemesis car, or cars, that they are always comparing their cars to. The M-coupe boards were always after Corvettes(regular and Z06- ha fat chance on the latter!) and 911's, and if you read the M5 board its the E55 AMG Mercedes, and 911's. I think its pretty damn amazing to take a $25k car and with a few mods be comparing our cars to the likes of these high-dollar performance machines. Not just dreamin about it but doing it! Nuff said!

Jeff

·
Registered
151 Posts
Re: Long -sorry but I can't help myself

JNR said:

When I read Nathans post about stomping an M5, I thought Hmmmm....??,but then I realized who wrote the post and it suddenly made sense. The numbers are out there and if you can beat a high 12 second quarter mile time you can run with a stock M5. Just don't let them coerce you into a 130mph+ race !! this is a game you will probably lose.
Jeff
Jeff,
I was actually suprised no one called BS on that, but i guess having video to back up your claim of a low 12 second WRX makes it a bit easier to belive. In any case the M5 would not have ran a 12 second pass up here... He would be back in the 13s with most of the C5s...

On the other hand, i don't think i would even bother trying to get into a 130+ race. 1. Being on boost that long scares me (i just dont like to beat on my stuff) 2. i usually shut down at 80 if its not close, and 100 if its closer on the street if i race at all.

The truth is that when you have a solid 12 second street car (ran [email protected] on my every day pump gas settings) there really not much that is even interesting to race.

With the M5, i just had to try it though, because i don't know about you, but thats the only one i have EVER seen in albuquerque.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, i guess the air gets a little thinner when you are running at that level. Although not at your current performance level, I have a Stage 2 91 Syclone and don't get much comp either, although I did get my *ss handed to me once by a modified Supra Turbo. I found out later the guy was pushing 500+ hp, and all I can say is that I learned a lesson about what to watch-out for(that guy in particular for instance!)that day. The other thing is that the Syclone, although really quick off the line, is not well suited to high-speed runs under full load. I choose my battles very carefully, and even that Supra didn't take me until we hit about 85-90.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Speaking of the V8 GTR version of the M3: it was developed because BMW was having trouble keeping up with the Porsches aboard the CSL. I'm sure the V8 will be killer when the road version comes along.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bah! You guys talking about wanting to own an M3 . . .

It lacks one critical high performance feature: AWD!

I can't imagine driving any other car where judicious throttle application is necessary to keep from looping it. You just can't match the full throttle poweslide of a WRX - especially in the wet!

It was only just this morning that I took my favorite ramp sideways on the way to work. :D :D :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
So with the Cobb Stage 2 kit... it ISSS possible to run 12sec Any given time (weather good of course) on regular 94 octane pump gas (sunoco pump)... just want to to get that rite!!

Cause i see no point in tuning my car to run that low, if had to dump RACING fuel into it to get there..

·
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually from a driving standpoint I much prefer RWD to AWD. AWD is fun in it's own way and my useful on an everyday basis but the purest in me still screams for a RWD car which requires more skill to drive fast.

·
Registered
151 Posts
black99gt said:
So with the Cobb Stage 2 kit... it ISSS possible to run 12sec Any given time (weather good of course) on regular 94 octane pump gas (sunoco pump)... just want to to get that rite!!

Cause i see no point in tuning my car to run that low, if had to dump RACING fuel into it to get there..
I think the cobb RT spec kit should get you 12s on pump gas. I ran a [email protected] with just 17.5psi on my pump gas settings the frist time down the track. We only get 91 at the pump around here...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts