ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried these? I've heard great things about them. Has anyone put them in your WRX

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,233 Posts
No; what did you hear?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The theory is that they have a more efficient cage design that allows for a better spark, resulting in a more complete burn of the fuel. Which leads to more power and better fuel economy. Sounds good, if its true.

·
29,233 Posts
I change plugs every 60k. If something allowed me to double that and was comparably priced to the correct plugs I'd look at it. Not buying power erc though unless I see repeated controlled dyno runs (a dozen in a row double blind would not be actually statistically significant so no real conclusions could be drawn I don't think, but I'd take them).

·
29,233 Posts
Sorry should read "more power" that I don't believe.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
nope....though if you are going to go through the trouble of changing your plugs (the 11/12 MY is a *****...requires unbolting the engine and either tilting it, or shifting it to the side), you might as well go to 1 step colder plugs as it will help to correct detonation issues that can arise from modding.

·
29,233 Posts
I did not know that about the 11. A boxer seems quite silly at times.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
yeah, unfortunately because of the plugs being on the 'outside' of the engine, which sits between the 'frame rails' (or the relative unibody equiv.), you can barely get the front coil pack out...the rears will not come out without lifting or sliding the engine for more room. I tried 4 times before I gave up and have the dealer do it for me to the tune of $180....when I got the bill, I asked how they did it.

·
29,233 Posts
Toyota have quality inlines. That Subaru doesn't take advantage seems to be some sort of imbecilic "not invented here" stubbornness or semi-suicidal belief in their own local marketing hype (they sell inlines outside the US and correctly so, so they're not entirely lost, but the whole boxer-awd thing for the US is pointless and ponderous).

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I wondered the same thing about these plugs. I saw 2 different shows that had stuff on the E 3 plugs. I found this one, but cant find the other one. If its true it might be worth checking into them. They do say its an average of the 3 runs of each plug. It would be nice to see the info from each run.
Skip to about 5:00 after the intro comercial.
PowerBlockTV - Video

·
29,233 Posts
The show itself is commercial though. Are the plugs a sponsor?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
The show itself is commercial though. Are the plugs a sponsor?
I know you cant believe everything on tv. I dont know for sure if the plugs are a sponser of the show. I guess it wouldnt surprise me if they are. I have seen them sponsor the gears show on speed network.

·
29,233 Posts
That may be the show I'm thinking of, with the really talented guy in the tight pants that used to do "Trucks" or something.

·
29,233 Posts
Thats Gearz. My wife always makes a comment about his tight pants. LOL
Yes OK I remember E3 being a sponsor for that show. If I were him I'd go 2" wider on the waist, no cuff, relaxed fit and generous across the thighs. I'd also not wear white socks with blue pants and brown shoes; I'd go blue or brown, preference to blue. It'd be interesting to hear if your wife agrees on all this. No cuff due to height and weight, incidentally.

The guy plays a terrific guitar and he is very skilled in auto stuff.

Anyway, I'm very, very skeptical when it comes to spark plug claims, mainly because spark plugs have been around for over a century and they do not involve string theory or anything more advanced than porcelain, an electrode, and a gap. Take a toilet, add a lightning rod and a power source, and you've got the world's largest spark plug. A manufacturer that could improve its fleet power by, say, 0.5% would have serious incentives to do so; I doubt the aftermarket has much to offer -- but that's just me and I'd be glad to be wrong.

·
29,233 Posts
My wife didn't believe his name is Stacy? lol Sorry for off subject OP.
It is. Truth be told my skepticism in spark plug claims is so severe that I am willing to bet this discussion on his pants and such is just as "useful" as fancy spark plugs so in a sense, the OP is getting an answer... of sorts...

I'd like to see actual data.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Yes OK I remember E3 being a sponsor for that show. If I were him I'd go 2" wider on the waist, no cuff, relaxed fit and generous across the thighs. I'd also not wear white socks with blue pants and brown shoes; I'd go blue or brown, preference to blue. It'd be interesting to hear if your wife agrees on all this. No cuff due to height and weight, incidentally.

The guy plays a terrific guitar and he is very skilled in auto stuff.

Anyway, I'm very, very skeptical when it comes to spark plug claims, mainly because spark plugs have been around for over a century and they do not involve string theory or anything more advanced than porcelain, an electrode, and a gap. Take a toilet, add a lightning rod and a power source, and you've got the world's largest spark plug. A manufacturer that could improve its fleet power by, say, 0.5% would have serious incentives to do so; I doubt the aftermarket has much to offer -- but that's just me and I'd be glad to be wrong.
It is. Truth be told my skepticism in spark plug claims is so severe that I am willing to bet this discussion on his pants and such is just as "useful" as fancy spark plugs so in a sense, the OP is getting an answer... of sorts...

I'd like to see actual data.
Yes he is talented for sure. I would say you and my wife are on the same page about the pants. She also got a good LOL about our discussion. Anyways, I to would also like to see true data on the plugs.

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts
They came up with 407HP with the other plugs, and 412.5 with the E3's. That's a 1.3% difference, which even with back to back pulls, is within the margin of error.
It may not have been intentional, but on the first run the location of the microphone(s) was different than the second run. The first run made the engine sound tinny, the second run it sounded mean, and cool.

I wouldn't spend extra money on these spark plugs, but if they where the same price as the other "premium plugs"... maybe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts