Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm sitting here in my recliner watching the new rally xs on speed and on tight turns the drivers yank the e brake and nothing seems to happen but word around here is that it's bad for the drivetrain?? i mean i'm sure it's not the greatest but what's the deal? i understand that WRC cars are so much more sturdy and faster than stock cars. anyone want to clarify at all or am i wasting my time?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,750 Posts
No, you're right, it would hurt our drivetrain, but if I remember correctly, all WRC cars' E-Brakes are made such that it completely disengages the entire rear differential, thus the torque is cut off as well, which makes it safe to use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
i would guess it has something to do with their higher performance differentials. they must be designed to account for the strain of the e-brake. well that's just my thoughts, i'm no expert either, so i could be wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Verdugo said:
No, you're right, it would hurt our drivetrain, but if I remember correctly, all WRC cars' E-Brakes are made such that it completely disengages the entire rear differential, thus the torque is cut off as well, which makes it safe to use.
did not know that...hmmm did not know that..i might have to do some net surfing to check and see if you are correct
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,539 Posts
They have extremely sophisticated computer-controlled diffs. The handbrake has a switch on it - just like the stock one - but instead of turning on the light on the dash, it disengages the rear end at the center diff when pulled.

Theoretically, you could set up an auto rex to do the same thing.....

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GV27 said:
They have extremely sophisticated computer-controlled diffs. The handbrake has a switch on it - just like the stock one - but instead of turning on the light on the dash, it disengages the rear end at the center diff when pulled.

Theoretically, you could set up an auto rex to do the same thing.....

Chris
i see....OT put back ur old avatar!!...thanks for the info
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,750 Posts
GV27 said:

Theoretically, you could set up an auto rex to do the same thing.....
w000000000t!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,539 Posts
Thought you'd like that one. That's come up several times on the I-Club where some of the Auto zealots point that out. Don't know if it would actually work, but the auto's diff is electronically controlled, andf like the manual, it's sorta "directly" connected to the front, with the diff feeding power to the rear on a variable basis. Of course, some of those guys claim the Rex auto has some sort of super tranny/diff setup that is capable of anything and everything, including predicting the future.

Speed: You don't like the new one? I though it time for a change and that the new one might tip off some people who might be wondering where the handle "GV27" came from. I'll have to find another WRC pic I guess!

C
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,750 Posts
GV27 said:
Thought you'd like that one. That's come up several times on the I-Club where some of the Auto zealots point that out. Don't know if it would actually work, but the auto's diff is electronically controlled, andf like the manual, it's sorta "directly" connected to the front, with the diff feeding power to the rear on a variable basis. Of course, some of those guys claim the Rex auto has some sort of super tranny/diff setup that is capable of anything and everything, including predicting the future.
LOL well my tranny can predict the weather! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
SpeedRacerWRX02 said:
i'm sitting here in my recliner watching the new rally xs on speed and on tight turns the drivers yank the e brake and nothing seems to happen but word around here is that it's bad for the drivetrain?? i mean i'm sure it's not the greatest but what's the deal? i understand that WRC cars are so much more sturdy and faster than stock cars. anyone want to clarify at all or am i wasting my time?
Fow WRC cars, partcularly Subaru, they use a *much* beefier version of the VTD center diff from the 4EAT WRX, which is able to either completely lock the center diff, or leave it completely open. Hence, when they yank the handbrake, it opens the diff completely to save the rest of the drivetrain from binding up.

Don't do it too often or at all on a street driven car, though. It doesn't have the same functionality, particularly the 5MT, as the 5MT uses a viscous coupling to transfer power. Also, the stock 4EAT does not open the diff when you pull the hanbrake, in case you were wondering. ;)
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top