ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 questions is the emergency brake a different brake system than the pedal or is it just the rear wheels.

Also can a wrx flip if you are using the the e brake to slide or drift whatever the term is. Also I'm talking about 1st gear speed like up to 30 mph. I don't think is should fit if you are on an even surface. SO can some1 just clarify that.

Lastly the same as the 2nd question - what speed are safe to use the e brake to drift or do like a 180 (is there a certain speed that will just flip that car if you try something stupid like that) btw I don't plan on trying this ever just curious.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
3 questions is the emergency brake a different brake system than the pedal or is it just the rear wheels.

Also can a wrx flip if you are using the the e brake to slide or drift whatever the term is. Also I'm talking about 1st gear speed like up to 30 mph. I don't think is should fit if you are on an even surface. SO can some1 just clarify that.

Lastly the same as the 2nd question - what speed are safe to use the e brake to drift or do like a 180 (is there a certain speed that will just flip that car if you try something stupid like that) btw I don't plan on trying this ever just curious.
the e-brake is like a drum inside the rear rotors

do not use the e-brake on an AWD car

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,471 Posts
On the Impreza the hand brake operates a set of mini-drum shoes distinct from the discs on the rear wheels. Other makers use other systems (e.g., MR2: cable to rear discs, Citroen BX: cable to front discs, why Citroen oh why didn't you warn me?).

It's very difficult to engineer something to be idiot-proof, since idiots are so resourceful.

Since the front and rear wheels are always connected by a differential, locking up either set while the other is spinning, even under no power, isn't a tremendous idea.

Search for fly-off hand brake and disconnecting or switched or electro-hydraulic center differential.

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
Ekkk....

Your diffs are going to hate you. I wouldnt pull the ebrake on the wrx (the sti it will disconnect the diff and you are "ok" to use it).

You can flip anything driving like a tool bag. All it takes is for the car (one of the 4 wheels) to grab some traction which will put you into usually a understeer type of situation. If there is a curb or anything in the road it could upset the car. I personally wouldnt recommend it but hey do whatever you like.

I'd honestly get some sway bars, an alignment, some springs, and alot of driver training and learn to control the car the way it was ment to be. This will be alot more fun the e-brake induced slides in a parking lot in front of a bunch of 240sx's.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I gave up wondering about things i was never going to do. You should too.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
I feel that any speed under 110mph is perfectly safe to yank the ebrake and send the car into an awe inspiring Fast & teh Furballs dorifto that would earn you street cred at just about any 7-11.

·
29,471 Posts
Yes I do, no it isn't. Got gravel?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so basically any sort of drifting on a wrx is bad for it and i should never try it. How about just powering the wrx into a slide like accelerate so fast the car loses traction and crank your wheel in 1 direction

·
29,471 Posts
Find a wet and abandoned air field with super slippery tarmac, a similar field covered in snow, or the Boneville Salt Flats and have a go if you like, but it's no way to treat a road car for longevity. The car can be driven very hard and is designed to spin the wheels at different speeds, but not forever. Beyond the diffs, there are the steering pump and wheel bearings to consider.

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
And here I always thought people bought subies to maintain traction.

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
so basically any sort of drifting on a wrx is bad for it and i should never try it. How about just powering the wrx into a slide like accelerate so fast the car loses traction and crank your wheel in 1 direction
Um...it will probaly be much cheaper for you to buy an older RWD car and do all the drifting you want in it rather then fixing what your drifting will do to the stock wrx powertrain.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
46 Posts
whatever, i heart some ********. they just wave at you and smile when you go by. I've never had a ******* show me anything but kindness when I was destroying the gravel road that they lived on.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
whatever, i heart some ********. they just wave at you and smile when you go by. I've never had a ******* show me anything but kindness when I was destroying the gravel road that they lived on.
I had some ask me if I thought I was at Talledega raceway..I responded "well, there is a dirt track there and I am surrounded by inbred ********..."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts