ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is going to be pretty long, pleast take the time to read it if you can.

Couple of weeks ago I notice that my e-brake light would come on and shut off while driveing. It would only come on for about 45 seconds or so and shut off, usually just once a day, every other day or so.

Then it started to happen more often, usually for the first 10-15 minutes of driving each time I started the car up. I started to notice a pattern. It would wither be on right from the start or turn on when I started to accellerate. Then I found a pattern for sure. It would always come on the exact instant I would let off the throttle when shifting from second to third. It would stay on until I came to a stop, and it had to be a pretty hard stop to kinda jerk the car a bit. I could also get rid of it by braking hard while driving, but it would usually come right back on after I accellerated again and let off the throttle.

Now it is to where it is on almost all the time, usually coming on after throttle lift off from first to second, and sometimes it does not shut off when I stop. Obviously the "problem" is getting worse. If I drive for quite a while, it will sometimes shut off, and only turn back on when I go full throttle, maybe around 5K it turns on.

I have checked my brakes, my brake fluid, and have done panic stops from many different speeds, all things are normal as far as I can tell. I even drove another guy's car the other night and his brakes felt like crud compared to mine.

I have a turbo timer, but it is not wired to the e-brake like some are.

What is the problem here, please help, I am tired of looking at the brake light on the dash!!!!

thanks

-joe

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
Sounds like a circuit problem. Wire coming lose or some connection failing. Probably needs to go in for service because it would be pretty hard to troubleshoot something like that.

OR...just do the option any sensible human being would do. Trade it in for an STi

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, thanks for all your help Josh!!! I wish I could get an STI, but it is not in the cards...plus I love my car and all its flaws too much :)

The thing that bugs me the most about it is that is is predictable, not just a random on off whenever it wants.

-joe

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
it sounds to me, as a almost doctor, that your brake fluid is low. CHECK IT NOW AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING!

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I dunno joe, sounds like something is incorrectly telling your brakelight that your ebrake is coming on, so it could possibly be a short in the system that is triggering the light or even worse it could be the actual drum brakes in the rear coming on under certain conditions (highly doubtful). I would say take it to a dealer and play ignorant, "Yeah I have mods....but what does all this mean?" and if they tell you it's your TT, then just leave and go somewhere else cause it's obviously not that.

Good luck,

~Tim

·
Registered
907 Posts
Himsk8 Was having this problem....it ended up that the bolt that holds part of the E-brake down was coming lose and the ebrake was losing contact with the button that made the light stay of when the e brake was down.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fluid was check an hour ago, its half way between min and max. Pads only have 12K on them so they cannot be burned up, I had more than half left when I changed the old ones out and that was 28K.

I am going to take the console apart and fiddle with the e-brake and see if I can't fix it there.

-joe

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Timdog1650 said:
I dunno joe, sounds like something is incorrectly telling your brakelight that your ebrake is coming on, so it could possibly be a short in the system that is triggering the light or even worse it could be the actual drum brakes in the rear coming on under certain conditions (highly doubtful). I would say take it to a dealer and play ignorant, "Yeah I have mods....but what does all this mean?" and if they tell you it's your TT, then just leave and go somewhere else cause it's obviously not that.

Good luck,

~Tim
no more warranty, and I am not paying them $97 and hour to look at it and tell me its my upipe.

-joe

·
Registered
218 Posts
take off the center console and check your switch. I would bet it is either sticking or broken.

·
Registered
511 Posts
When that happened to me on my previous car I went to chevrons little place and the guy like said he tightened some wiring and added brake fluid. My brake fluid at the time was half way between empty and full and and he filled it almost to the full part and after that the problem went away. When I had my light coming on it was in a tottally different car and would come on when I turned, I think it was because when I was turning the fluid would move away from the senor or whatever and like it would think I had low brake fluid. I think the light also came on when I accelerated and braked somewhat hard as well. I am not entirely sure about this but isn't there a wire connected to the ebrake? or something cause that's what I think the guy tightened. Or like what was said above about the ebrake sensor not touching what it's suppose to touch.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will try as much as I can this weekend to get it fixed.

Thanks for the replies.

-joe

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
the last car I had was a mercury and the brake light suddenly came on, of course I'm not mechanically inclined so I took it to a mechanic friend of mine. he opened the master cylinder and stuck his finger in there and moved some kind of float valve and the problem was solved. I don't have my WRX at home right now so I don't know if it has the same kind of master cylinder but it might be worth the try.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mine is doing the same exact thing as yours. I am pretty sure my problem is the Brake fluid being low. My fluid level is just below the seam in the reservoir tank.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is where mine is....but if that causes a problem, why is that level a good 50ml or more higher than the MIN level. Oh well, I am going to top it up this weekend.

-joe

·
Registered
345 Posts
It must be the way the indicator is setup. I guess if it doesn’t see fluid for a split second or so the light will come on. My comes on when I accelerate and brake abruptly. It goes away after a few seconds. I need to top mine off as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts