ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day im getting on the parkway in the rain, i shift into 4th, and was at about like 4-5k RPM, not floored but accelerating to get in a spot in the lane, while doing so i noticed that my BRAKE light on the dashboard was lit up, same brake light that comes on when the E-brake is pulled up. i was wondering what this was, traction control didn't limit power to the tires or anything. wondering what this was on the way home from the store i was driving to, at the next stop light i went through 1st, 2nd, got on it a little in 3rd, and when it got up to around 4k again the light came on, when it came on i pushed the E-brake down because i thought maybe the forces of accelerating lifted the E-brake handle or something, it didn't shut off so i got off the gas and after a few seconds it shut off.

Can anyone help as to why this is happening?

·
Registered
102 Posts
So the other day im getting on the parkway in the rain, i shift into 4th, and was at about like 4-5k RPM, not floored but accelerating to get in a spot in the lane, while doing so i noticed that my BRAKE light on the dashboard was lit up, same brake light that comes on when the E-brake is pulled up. i was wondering what this was, traction control didn't limit power to the tires or anything. wondering what this was on the way home from the store i was driving to, at the next stop light i went through 1st, 2nd, got on it a little in 3rd, and when it got up to around 4k again the light came on, when it came on i pushed the E-brake down because i thought maybe the forces of accelerating lifted the E-brake handle or something, it didn't shut off so i got off the gas and after a few seconds it shut off.

Can anyone help as to why this is happening?
Check your brake fluid because that's exactly what happens when it's low. When you accelerate or brake hard the fluid moves and sets off the sensor.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
22 views and no response? no one has any idea, or am i just that hated on this forum? lmao

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay, thank you, i will get that checked. car goes to body shop tomorrow so maybe ill be takin a trip to Bill Kolb subaru dealership today after school

·
Registered
102 Posts
No dealer required to check it, it takes about 10 seconds to pop the hood and look at the reservoir to see if it's below the line. They may over charge you to refill it as well.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
Check your brake fluid because that's exactly what happens when it's low. When you accelerate or brake hard the fluid moves and sets off the sensor.
Now that it's mentioned, I remember this happening with my GTP way back when.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,210 Posts
Yes it's common and that's how the system is intended to work. The issue then becomes whether the low fluid is due to a leak or due to pads wearing, and if the latter, how worn are the pads -- does the car need replacements or not yet?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See, thats why I joined one of these forums, to learn! haha so now that i know this requires no dealer visit i will check when i get out of school in about an hour or so. my next question would now be where under the hood is the reservoir located?

Impretzel im in school and don't have the manual around or in front of me thats why i posted this, i will read the manual when i get home, but i wanted to get some advice before i leave here because if it was/is anything serious i don't wanna be driving around with that problem.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
How long have you had the car? It may just be that your brake pads are low, as was stated above. Just a forewarning, if you check the reservoir and see it is low, you don't want to just throw more fluid in there if what you really need is new pads.

·
29,210 Posts
See, thats why I joined one of these forums, to learn! haha so now that i know this requires no dealer visit i will check when i get out of school in about an hour or so. my next question would now be where under the hood is the reservoir located?
On the driver's side of the car and mounted on the firewall there will be a black circular object and protruding from that, a white reservoir with a yellow cap mounted on what looks like a metal "pipe." The max/min lines are visible from the side without having to remove the cap; fluid level should be visible just glancing from the outside.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Calvin i got it in october, brand new, only had the 27 miles it had from someone dropping it at my house from the dealership. Also i understand that replacing the pads will also make the fluid amount rise back up again if it is due to worn down pads

SD_GR thanks for advice i will check when i get home and see what the issue is

·
Registered
102 Posts
Calvin i got it in october, brand new, only had the 27 miles it had from someone dropping it at my house from the dealership. Also i understand that replacing the pads will also make the fluid amount rise back up again if it is due to worn down pads

SD_GR thanks for advice i will check when i get home and see what the issue is
I'm guessing you have less than 7500 miles on it unless you drive a ton. I highly doubt your pads are worn out unless you drive it like you stole it every day. However, low brake fluid that early is also kind of scary. I had an '08 and didn't see this problem for a couple years.

·
29,210 Posts
Agreed, check and double check fluid level and if it's low, find out why. Off chance: floater switch stuck with circuit completed. Still, check fluid and if needed check brakes!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CHeck fluid and it was a little above low, i added some fluid for now, going tothe dealership this week

1 - 16 of 16 Posts