ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre"
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!!

Been forever since I logged in. The new job has me traveling all over the world, so I'm gone as much (or more) than I'm home. Been to CoSprings, Guam, Japan, and Georgia in the past 4 months... leaving for Alaska this Saturday.

Nevertheless.. the WRX has been sitting in the garage with the e-brake set a LOT... so I think whatever "return spring" mechanism it uses has been stretched out a bit... because even when I release the ebrake to drive it... the "brake" light stays on in the instrument cluster.

I know it's not hard to adjust.... just need some insight on where to start looking. Anyone know where the "tightening" adjustment is for the e-brake?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,232 Posts
There's a lock nut mechanism inside the console near the lever.

Check your fluid level just in case.

·
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!!

Yea... fluids are fine... brakes work great... no problem whatsoever other than that little light... it's just from sitting so long with the e-brake set, thats all.

I would have found it eventually.... but I likely would have looked under the car first..... so you just totally saved me some time. Thanks again~!

·
Registered
316 Posts
The switch is on the handle, so with the handbrake released the switch should trip. It's got nothing to do with the brake mechanism itself. Check the switch or the brake fluid level to start.

For long periods of time don't park it with the handbrake on, put blocks in front of the wheels, because the shoes can freeze to the drum.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,232 Posts
I had a Z that did this once: the light was always on and I'd checked everything -- fluid level, the lever, the switch on the lever, etc. It was the switch on the other end, the little floater mechanism inside the brake fluid reservoir. This had stuck and would no longer move freely, so the car thought the fluid was low.

Check the reservoir for switch operation, not just fluid level at this point.

·
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fluid level is good.... brakes aren't leaking and work properly.

It has literally sat parked in the garage for almost 7 weeks straight (no risk of freezing)... but the e-brake was set. It flickers on and off if I jiggle the ebrake handle sometimes. Sometimes it just goes off on it's own.

I'm going to wheel-chock it from now on to avoid this from happening. I have my wife start it twice per week, but she can't "drive" it... so the ebrake never got released the entire time I was gone.

I'm 99.9% certain its just the switch.... thats all.

·
Registered
316 Posts
It has literally sat parked in the garage for almost 7 weeks straight (no risk of freezing)... but the e-brake was set.
Just to clarify: when I say that the shoes freeze to the drum it has nothing to do with the temperature. I mean that the shoe material bonds/glues itself to the drum. This has happened to me when I had a car in storage for a long time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts