ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I'm installing the open downpipe. Eric of torquedperformance has an E-85 map and he said it would give 400-450 WHp. Anyone with any experience with E-85 tune? How is power and how's economy doing after that change?

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Unless you have a crap ton of other mods, you won't see anywhere near 400 WHP. Power increases are quite nice with E-85, but not that nice over stock. Fuel milage goes WAY down.

On top of the retune, you'll need bigger injectors, a higher flow rate fuel pump, and I'd recommend new fuel lines as well.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Naa, modded to no end. I don't know exactly what all, bought used... But Eric knows this car, Blough20xsomething turbo, catback, FMIC, air-intake, don't really know what all as far as fuel pump, injectors etc. Guess I'll find out more as time goes.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Ah, with that setup, if it was done correctly, you could very likely achieve the numbers he was talking about. You're probably already well set up for it even, but I would confirm that with Eric.

If you do decide to go that route, remember that E-85 isn't available everywhere, so you may need to plan trips accordingly.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm kinda thinking I might have the laptop along, change over if needed. Besides I'm not really looking for maximum horses, more for performance with decent gas mileage. So if I end up with "only" 380 horses, that's fine. I think I will just have to invest in the tune and see for myself how the mileage ends up. But first I got to get the downpipe in, the car was sold at a dealership and they made it "street legal"... So I was trying to find out if anyone else has this kind of set-up and what I would end up getting. I guess this is not very common.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I remember this car from the intro thread. It is good to go with the DP and tune.

I'd just start with a conservative pump gas tune - I think you will be quite pleasantly surprised once you just uncork that thing.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right, this is the one from the intro thread. I have since found out some more, but not nearly all, about the car. I've upped the ride height a bit, to make it more everyday usable. had alignment done, wasn't all that bad, but I'd like to USE the tires up, not abraide them away. I was thinking about the E-85 since it's about $0.50 cheaper. I will definitely start out with the regular (ie premium) gas, intend to do some logging also. See what gives. I'm told that just the open DP will increase lower end torque quite a bit. Can't wait to see (feel) it. Then see what mileage I get, and see what acceleration I get. Probably will see not much difference in mileage until I stick the foot into the turbo... Then it probably sucks, literally...

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
You really need to get that DP on there and make sure you're running a tune that's designed for your mods. You're playing with fire by 1) driving it with the wrong tune for the mods and 2) driving it without knowing for sure the tune you have is right for the mods you have. But people have been telling you that since you first posted and you don't seem to be listening...

I'll try one last time: PARK THE CAR UNTIL YOU GET THE DP ON THERE AND A PROTUNE.

And if you're going to go with a 400whp/450wtq tune, start saving now to replace things like your tranny. And make sure you put suspension and braking mods on there to handle all that power because the car is going to be horribly unsafe and drive pretty terribly without supporting mods.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Slick as teflon... Anyways, I guess I'll have to take the occasion when I'm under there and take pics. The suspension is there, so is the brakes. Swaybars and endlinks. The current tune is for what it IS, other than the downpipe, that was changed back to the original catted pipe for sale. I'm just putting it back to what it was with the tune that's on it - before the car went to sale.
But you certainly have a point as far as the tranny goes. I frankly have no idea what it can take. Is there anything out there that'll beef up the drive train? And is it needed? Or maybe it would be better to simply scale back? In the old days we swapped tranny's of smaller cars into the rally cows and had no issues. But the HP numbers where WAY lower... Then again, that is all talk at this point. I am not yet positive I'm going there.

Oh, and I need to make one correction: E-85 is $0.5 cheaper than REGULAR, so it's actually more like 70 cents cheaper than premium... at least in Colorado, not sure how that stacks up in other states?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, now this helps. And takes me back a little. While I wasn't immediately going for it, this makes me take it even more slow.
That video: impressive. But a bit over the top. I just wanted something with pep. Wasn't really looking for a race car. But it is fun on occasion...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did someone say "Park the car"?!
Well, it's at the local subaru shop, with a broken steering sensor. Lucky me, I'm on almost the last week of warranty for that, engine and drivetrain warranty are LONG gone due to mods...) It's been torn apart, the replacement sensor was the wrong one, so I won't get the car back until Tuesdau the earliest. dang it, the DP will have to wait another week. I did email Eric with what DP i'm planning to install, he said it is exactly the one that used to be on it (invidia divorced 3") and the tune is already set up. So now I just have to wait....

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
20g-XT should make about 380-400whp on e85 on a Mustang dyno.. should be a fun ride. Generally, you'll see around +50whp and +70ft/lbs when switching to e85.

Ohh yeah.. fuel economy should be about 60% of what you get on 93.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I don't believe that guy's numbers. I have a bigger turbo with a huge hotside, and I'm not seeing anywhere near that.

Yeah, 462 WHP / 492 WTQ? And the XT-R is even smaller than the XT.. like 47lb/min, you would be pushing it pretty hard to make 400 WTQ.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
I can't wait to build my engine, and push 26psi with ELH, and an EWG.... I'm crossing my fingers for 450 on a dyno dynamics

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
... I'm not seeing anywhere near that.
Sinister, you running E-85? I'm beginning to think this whole question might become academic after all. If it takes the mileage down that much, I'm not sure I want it... Maybeee I'll just give it a try somewhen, just for kicks, then go back to normal gasoline, i.e. premium... But that's a bit further down the road. In the meanwhile I MIGHT even decide to try scaling back just a bit... Who knows where this'll lead?...

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
e85 is much cheaper than 93 octane here.. last time I figured it up, even with the reduced mpg I would still save a little money by running e85. You just can't go as far between fill ups.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts