ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put on a Invidia catless DP, borla hush exhaust, HOA 3 port boost solenoid, and has an SPT intake.

I went and got it tuned at a local tuner. He said tune is done but my plugs were bad and car has a slight misfire at higher rpms due to this. I asked if everything would be fine with the tune if I just replaced the plugs, he said yes.

Replaced the plugs with same exact kind, NGK laser iridium. Let the car warm up, than I get on it after it is warmed up and it still misfires like crazy at 3.2K rpm and up.

Than I go and have the car pre dyno diagnosed from a different tuning shop in fear the first wouldnt be truthful about it and just try to lay the blame on me. They call me the next day, no leaks whatsoever.

Before I had the car tuned it did NOT misfire. I kept it under 3k rpm to not damage the boost solenoid or destroy the motor. Am I missing something hear or did the tuner just royally f*** up my car?!

Thanks
-Dave

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Bring it back to the original shop

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Who was the tuner? I don't see how someone could properly tune a car with fouled plugs. Everything has to be working just right before the tune, otherwise the tune isn't going to be any good.

I would take it back to the guy, tell him what's going on, and let him know you expect him to fix it out of pocket.

·
UnBanned
17,655 Posts
Misfires should happen accross the board, not just at high rpm. If they're sitting at one section of the powerband... then more than likely it's a fueling issue. Is it one individual cylinder? Or is it all?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Check the plug wire connections and voltage on your coil. Reflash to OTS Stage 2 to check for errors in his tune map file.

·
UnBanned
17,655 Posts
I wouldn't flash to stage 2... he has a 3port BCS. He'll overboost by ~30%.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
lol... Could be a fueling issue. If it's happening at 3.2K rpm I seriously doubt he's running out of pump though. Maybe a failing pump? Of course a log of wideband O2 would tell the tale. The fueling should get substantially richer as boost increases. But from the description, it doesn't sound load related.. strange that it would be rpm dependent.

Maybe a bad crank and/or cam timing sensor? Then again, it wouldn't make sense that it just so happened to start doing it when he got tuned..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everything was installed prior to the tune. Also, it was open source tuned. No accessport, no tactrix cable to log it. And this was at P&L with junior who everyone said was great with tuning and making very reliable tunes.

I hadnt planned on doing any other modifications to the car, just planned on driving it now until it blew up.

And honestly it breaks apart so bad up top I cant tell if its one particular cylinder or not. But AMS did the boost leak test and told me nothing was leaking.

Plugs are gapped at .030, figured since the car really isnt all that different I didnt need to close the gap more than that. Only other things I can think of is if a coil is malfunctioning already even though the car only has 46k on it. It is a 2007 btw.

But everyone is out of town for Sema...
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, I have never just free revved it to see if it still breaks apart at 3.2k while in neutral. All of this happened while accelerating and under load. It seems to be just under full boost. Ive only gone into it literally like 3 times cause it made me so nervous that I was going to blow the motor.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Get in touch with Junior. He always seemed reasonable to me. A minor touch-up on the road won't put him out much.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Is there a CEL? That might help narrow down the diag. If the plug are new and installed correctly, I would suspect a bad coil or 2, but without knowing which cylinders are misfiring, it will be difficult to diag.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No CEL. I had a CEL for like 1 instant when I went all the way to 5.5k after I changed the plugs. CEL started flashing and pretty much went off instantly upon slowing down. Ya apparently he gets flown in... I dont know, that part was news to me. But yea Im not sure how i would diagnose which coil is bad without the tactrix...

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
No CEL. I had a CEL for like 1 instant when I went all the way to 5.5k after I changed the plugs. CEL started flashing and pretty much went off instantly upon slowing down. Ya apparently he gets flown in... I dont know, that part was news to me. But yea Im not sure how i would diagnose which coil is bad without the tactrix...
If the light went on, it should have stored the code and you should be able to retrieve it with any code reader/scantool. If you know what cylinder(s) are misfiring, you can swap coils to see it the misfire moves with the coil (coil bad) or not (more diag.)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So coils arent specific to certain cylinders? I can do that this weekend, considering no one at P&L will even be around until monday. Didnt think this would get so complicated lol. Really frustrating.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Give Junior a call and make an appointment to take it back up to P&L. Junior's a good tuner.. I'm fairly certain they will take care of you without a problem.

In the mean time just baby it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does Junior list his phone number? Ive only ever been in contact with P&L, this would be much better to not have the middle man involved. Even an email address would be better.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
So coils arent specific to certain cylinders? I can do that this weekend, considering no one at P&L will even be around until monday. Didnt think this would get so complicated lol. Really frustrating.

Thanks for all the help.
Nope, coils are interchangeable... Misfires are a giant PITA to diag, but I would take it back to P&L to have your tuner figure it out... Good Luck...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts