Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dyno results were 247 awhp (at 5400 rpm), and 218 torque (3800-4100 rpm).

Max boost is 1.1 bar.

The car truly pulls much harder than before via my butt dyno. Note my mods below.

I must admit I was hoping for at least 260 awhp, but I should probably be happy to get that much power out of such a small engine.

·
Registered
932 Posts
For comparison's sake, I have a few questions:

Where was this done? What kind of dyno? What baseline numbers does that particular dyno show for stock WRXs?

By the way, do you like your MRT exhaust? Those look really nice.

·
Registered
679 Posts
DTsRex said:
Dyno results were 247 awhp (at 5400 rpm), and 218 torque (3800-4100 rpm).

Max boost is 1.1 bar.

The car truly pulls much harder than before via my butt dyno. Note my mods below.

I must admit I was hoping for at least 260 awhp, but I should probably be happy to get that much power out of such a small engine.
Your numbers seem a bit low, esp the tq (people have dyno'd 240/240 on stock turbo). Why were you running so low a boost level, especially with STi injectors? You can run that boost and then some on stock injectors. Post your dyno so we can see what's up.

-C

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was run on a DynoJet Inertia.

The shop said the best they were able to get on a stock is 197 after the reflash. They also said I was not boosting as high as I could with the injectors and fuel pump I have. I'm running about 16 psi.

I was not charged for the dyno as the shop did it for free since the Ecutek software is recent, and they want to make sure everything is as it should be. I do not have a copy of the dyno run, but they said they'd fax it to me. Hopefully I'll get it today, and I can post it tonight.

Bedabi -- I really like my MRT turboback. The sound is perfect. Not loud, but low and rumbly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reflash was done at Renick Subaru in Fullerton, CA.

Here's the dyno. It was faxed to me so hopefully it's legible enough.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yeah, the torque number does seem a bit low like Type-C says, but that sure is a nice, flat torque curve!

One thing I have noticed though is when people do get higher peak torque #s, the torque curve peaks our quickly then falls, as opposed to a flat, usable curve. I guess it depends on what you want. Type-C would probably want much higher peak torque since he's into all out power (apologies if I'm wrong), but I'd be happy with yours since I seek driveability.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before the tuning, I told the shop that my goal was good streetability rather than drag strip. So, maybe this is why my boost was set on the conservative side.

As always, nothing's free, so I'm sure there are benefits to a conservative boost.

At lunch a motorcycle cop was coming toward me on the other side of the street and sure gave me the stare, as we drove past each other. I technically wasn't speeding, but he must've seen me excellerate quickly to 50 mph (the limit), which put me quite a bit ahead of the rest of traffic.

·
Registered
679 Posts
bedabi said:
Yeah, the torque number does seem a bit low like Type-C says, but that sure is a nice, flat torque curve!

One thing I have noticed though is when people do get higher peak torque #s, the torque curve peaks our quickly then falls, as opposed to a flat, usable curve. I guess it depends on what you want. Type-C would probably want much higher peak torque since he's into all out power (apologies if I'm wrong), but I'd be happy with yours since I seek driveability.

Na, I'm about all around tq, and by looking at the graph, his tq comes on nice and early. The problem is there isn't any real power jump like you usually see with VF turbos in the midrange. The reason I say the tq is low, is not to criticize, but to try to help point out a problem. I made 235tq to the wheel on the stock turbo with uppipe cat to put it in perspective. The only place where you pass a stock turbo graph (with similar mods) is above ~6+K. I would try again with more boost, although even at 15lbs there should be a huge difference with the VF's. Hope you get all the kinks tuned out, and good luck. :cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Must be nice. Everything I have done is done by myself and a few friends. There are NO shops that sell/service imports. There is one place that sells wheels, mufflers, and stuff like that, but they have no mechanical abilities.

Also, while there are 3 dyno's near here, not a single one is capable of doing a AWD car.

If I had a Mustang, I'd be in good shape.... except that I would be driving a mustang.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spoke with the tuner and he said my only bottleneck is not having a FMIC. He recommends GReddy. He said I should lay down about 285 hp at the wheel with one. I could also have the ecu reflashed to increase the boost to 18 psi, up from 16. I think I'll wait until I get the FMIC however, so I could accommodate both mods on the same reflash.

My VF35 spools amazing fast, so I'm hoping the GReddy FMIC won't lag it too much.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
You shouldn't need a FMIC with that setup. I think something else is missing from the equation here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yoyo

hey how does the turbo compare to stock,, spool wise and power curve wise,, does the power come evenly or does it come like the stock one all in 1 big kick ,, ive got a vf 35 on the way for my auto wrx,, i dont have an ecutek yet in my area so imma hold off on it for now,, see how the turbo goes with stock ecu,, upgraded fuel pump on stock injectors at 15 psi,,,,,,,

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Topgrinder -- The VF35 is very different from the stock unit in that the power is delivered more evenly throughout the rpms. The spool is truly fast too. Although I'd imagine the VF35 must spool more slowly than the stock, I don't notice it at all due to the overal increased performance.

Without some sort of engine management, you're not going to be satisfied with the VF35. I would also use boost conservatively (12-14 psi) until you get the reflash. A forum member recently blew his turbo running it at 19 psi on a stock ecu/injectors/pump.

I definitely recommend the reflash with the VF35. You'll enjoy it *much* more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts