Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, making my first ever post to this forum as I recently bought a 2014 WRX!! Unfortunately it only came with one set of keys so I have been looking at various options to source a replacement set.

Multiple Subaru dealerships have quoted me over $400 for a new mastercut and fob, but I feel this is a complete up charge. Another option I am considering is purchasing the fob and key separately for roughly $40 - $30 each, then hiring a locksmith to cut and program the keys for $100.
Below I will post links to the blanks I am looking at.

I’m mainly curious if anyone has dealt with new keys for this 3rd gen wrx or has advice or experience. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2010 Subaru WRX Limited Hatchback 5MT
490 Posts
Congrats and welcome! A 2014 is on my wishlist for sure. If that's it in the avatar the WRB is classic too.

My local dealer quoted somewhere around $400 too. Thankfully the previous owner had coverage for keys so had a new set made for free. Actually it covered up to $400 but the cost was a bit over and the dealer covered the difference.

Anyway I'm sure a 3rd party can cut and program it for less, but won't the dealer still need to program the chip in the key to the car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is what I’m most curious about. It seems all wrx/sti after 2006 have the immobilizing chip that prevents any aftermarket key from starting the car. I’m hoping that for $100 the locksmith is able to program and pair that chip with the car. I would need it to start the car with no issues :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
What happened to the 2nd key? If previous owner broke it that's fine. If it was "lost" in shipping or at a used car dealer, you should change to new keys, clear both old keys from immobilizer and replace all lock cylinders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts