Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been looking for a car now for 2 months. the choice is between the wrx and the rsx-s. the wrx is the clear winner imo, but my dad wants to "detune" it. is there anyway to detune it? how would i turn down the boost? thanks

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
hurad said:
i have been looking for a car now for 2 months. the choice is between the wrx and the rsx-s. the wrx is the clear winner imo, but my dad wants to "detune" it. is there anyway to detune it? how would i turn down the boost? thanks
Why does he want to detune it? Does he think it's too much for you to handle right now? I guess that can make sense, but logically, if I wanted a nice Subaru that just "wasn't very fast just yet" I'd get a used older-generation Impreza, and with some mods you can get one running as fast as a WRX eventually. One person on I-Club is doing a 1/4 mile in low 14s without a turbo in his RS...pretty great feat as far as I'm concerned :)

You could also get the current generation RS, but I personally like the older-gen styling better :D

·
Registered
242 Posts
You could always slap a manual boost controller on it and back it off to lower the boost. Then when he's not looking you can crank it up to 16 psi. :D

·
2,210 Posts
Without boost set at minimum to the factory spec, the WRX loses much of its appeal. Its going to be tricky to drive because you will sacrifice a significant amount of torque.

You might want to look at an RS instead. It has a larger displacement motor and is going to be much easier to drive than a 'detuned' WRX.

-Pace

·
Registered
779 Posts
I don't think I would want a detuned WRX. For me the appeal was that I was fast and I could make it go faster. I see why, you want a detuned one but I don't know if your dad would buy into a boost controller as a means of detuning a WRX, as you would be able to adjust the setting. Maybe an RS would suit your situation better because if you can only drive a WRX if it performs like a Honda, what's the point?;)

·
Registered
907 Posts
If your dad wants to detune it due to your experience of driving, then dont get one, get a civic...those are good starter cars..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Flyboy said:
You could always slap a manual boost controller on it and back it off to lower the boost. Then when he's not looking you can crank it up to 16 psi. :D
lol thats what i had in mind thanks for the idea. its more my mom who wants to detune it. as for the rs its only got i think 165? hp. i was only gonna turn the boost to give it 200hp or so, then turn it back up. also someone said i could replace some hose or something and that would lower the boost?
thanks

·
Registered
649 Posts
Master Of Pain said:
Your dad is a kitty.
Dude, that's mean.

I applaud the dad or mom for not wanting a teenager (he is a teenager, right?) to have a powerful car. I've seen too many stupid teenagers driving fast cars almost killing themselves and other people. I admit that if I'd had a WRX when I was 16 or 17, I would have driven very stupidly too. Just get an RS, get used to driving, and wait until they'll let you have something more powerful. I believe my first car was a Dodge Colt. 0-60 in about 15 minutes. I used to do 45mph e-brake slides into the high school parking lot. I can just imagine how I would have driven a WRX at that age.:D

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Master Of Pain said:
I was being funny. :rolleyes:

My dad was a kitty too. :D

Seriously, if parents are that concerned about safety, they should buy based on safety features rather than performance. Insurance would be cheaper.
So's mine...that's why I have a slushbox :( :D

·
Registered
779 Posts
I don't think a WRX is a good starter car. Also, doesn't make sense to buy one and not exploit it's power.

Get something else that's a little cheaper and that won't make you cry when you make mistakes while learning to drive.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hmmm

Kira said:
I don't think a WRX is a good starter car. Also, doesn't make sense to buy one and not exploit it's power.

Get something else that's a little cheaper and that won't make you cry when you make mistakes while learning to drive.
Ya know, if I could do it over again, I'd get a 2.5. Watching Initial D, seems like there's nothing more fun than watching a car hit 11000 RPM, with new rods/pistons/honing/and balancing of course =)

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Re: Hmmm

206WRX_GDA said:

Ya know, if I could do it over again, I'd get a 2.5. Watching Initial D, seems like there's nothing more fun than watching a car hit 11000 RPM, with new rods/pistons/honing/and balancing of course =)
If I could do it over again, I'd buy your black 5-speed :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
haha

Well, depending on what comes out and if I get a new job, you might get your wish! Oh yeah, is there a thread that asks what us clubbers do for a living? If not, we should start one. I wanna know what people do to take care of their car...

B

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Re: haha

206WRX_GDA said:
Well, depending on what comes out and if I get a new job, you might get your wish! Oh yeah, is there a thread that asks what us clubbers do for a living? If not, we should start one. I wanna know what people do to take care of their car...

B
LOL I guess we shall see

And nope not that I know of!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Master Of Pain said:
I was being funny. :rolleyes:

My dad was a kitty too. :D

Seriously, if parents are that concerned about safety, they should buy based on safety features rather than performance. Insurance would be cheaper.
I kinda figured you were... I'm not getting all upset or anything,
I just didn't want that kid to think you were a jerk.:) Some people don't like to have their parents dissed.

BTW:
My dad was just poor.:( (I had to buy my own car)

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
junaitari said:

I kinda figured you were... I'm not getting all upset or anything,
I just didn't want that kid to think you were a jerk.:) Some people don't like to have their parents dissed.

BTW:
My dad was just poor.:( (I had to buy my own car)
Your mom wears combat boots! Nyah!! :p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts