ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was driving my hoopty civic today, and a cop gave me a ticket for illegal exhaust, claiming that its louder than stock, this is my beater car and my exhuast was replace with a 2" pipe and muffler after there was a hole in the old one, causing it to sound like a harley, so its actually quieter than before, dumb cop told me that if chnage out the exhuast system, it cannot be louder than the stock, my exhuast is nowhere near being loud, i think he was too emabrassed to admit that he was wrong, i mean, they can't expect a 14 year old car with 180K miles to sound like a 2004 mercedes, this is one ticket i will definately take to court.. have anyone out there ran into this type of situation? i've been driving cars with louder aftermarket exhuast for 7 years now, and this is the first time i've been pull over for something like this,
it was on smoky hill and orchard by the way

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hehehe, i guess that'll help abit, i only used periods and capitals when im writing papers or something formal...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know that u cannot replace your stock exhuast with something louder than stock. but my argument is that i did replace it with something stock. the piping they gave me at the exhuast shop is pretty much stock size, and they slap on a stock muffler. to be honest, my exhuast is pretty quiet for an old car. its by all mean not loud at all. i just think the cop was irritated by the fact the car was lowered, and look like it was modified, that along with he not having anything better to do. i will bring that car to court with me and will ask the judge or whoever they are more than welcome to listen to it, hell i even take them for a ride. i usually do not waste my time with this sort of stuff, and usually take fault in it. but i think the officer was being very unreasonable, therefore i will go to court

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Maybe you can get the exhaust shop to certify that they put on a stock size exhaust and stock muffler replacement? After all, no muffler shops truly carry OEM replacement mufflers - they are typically aftermarket similar knockoffs.

Marcus, I've got one of those middle-aged Harley riders in my hood who drives his obnoxiously loud bike through the hood. There's also this horrible sounding DSM that drives down the main street out back. I wonder what kind of cheapass ricey exhaust makes a ROAR, pause, ROAR, pause, ROAR sound, even if it looks and actually sounds like he is at constant throttle or coasting, and not accelerating.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i do realize that they will not go out and look the car. i just want to let them know that im not trying to hide anything. but it think typeroger have a good point, im going to go to the exhuast shop and have them write down that what they did was stock replacement, hopefully with that in my hand, i have a stronger argument. well, i guess i have to wait for the day top come... thanks fellas

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
wonderspark said:
It's true, you can't legally install exhaust louder than stock. You'll lose in court, mark my words. You can try to argue about the unfairness of Harley Davidson exhaust being a total annoyance and 500x louder, and that it's not enforced, but I'm telling you, you're wasting your time. Just gotta deal with it.
Actually that's not true. There are people who have fought this ticket and won in court. I hope I get another so that I can fight it. Basically without any noise messuring device how can a cop prove that your exhaust is louder than stock. Furthermore, without the exact car sitting next to your car how can a cop prove your exhaust is louder than stock? They can't. It's really as simple as telling them the exhaust may have a different tone, but I don't think it's louder. Or something to that effect. Otherwise it's a 35 dollar ticket, but I think it would be a fun ticket to fight. The problem with the ticket is that they aren't giving you a noise violation, they are giving you a ticket based on their opinion that they think your exhaust is louder than stock. It's BS, and not legally valid unless they keep a lot of stock cars sitting around to compare DBs.

-RYan

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
And at what level do they measure the noise? Idle, 55 mph cruising, full throttle? Does the law specify? And how would they measure it - on a roller, or in a parking lot? (I'm sure Ryan and the auto-x peeps are familiar with this measurement debate.) Sounds like the law is very unenforceable, and can easily be fought. However, isn't it just a $10 ticket? A lawyer would surely cost more, but if you want to try to fight it on your own dime, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
WTypeRogerX said:
And at what level do they measure the noise? Idle, 55 mph cruising, full throttle? Does the law specify? And how would they measure it - on a roller, or in a parking lot? (I'm sure Ryan and the auto-x peeps are familiar with this measurement debate.) Sounds like the law is very unenforceable, and can easily be fought. However, isn't it just a $10 ticket? A lawyer would surely cost more, but if you want to try to fight it on your own dime, let us know how it goes.
There is no measurment it's all assumption. That's the problem.

35 dollar ticket, and who needs a lawyer. Do it yourself and get a snapshot of the cops face for us would you?

-Ryan

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
with $35, i rather just pay for it, its actually $75. on the ticket he wrote "operated a vehicle with a modified muffler system that failed to reduce noise". see if it was on my rex, i would probbaly just pay for it since i have a TBE, and clearly know im gulity for it. but i ain't gonna spend $190 on a stock exhuast system to get ticket by some dumb cop

·
Registered
406 Posts
When I had my talon I got a ticket for that same insanely stupid reason. I had a 3" TBE w/ no cat and a flow through muffler. The first time I went to court for it I plead guilty and the DA accepted my plea and I went before the judge. But instead of giving me a fine, he scheduled another hearing a month later and wanted me to come back with proof that I had removed the Illeagal exahust. So I went over to my friends house and took some pics of his 100% stock exahust system and drove my moms car to court. The judge then dropped the charges and I had to pay the $20 court fee.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
demonicr said:
with $35, i rather just pay for it, its actually $75. on the ticket he wrote "operated a vehicle with a modified muffler system that failed to reduce noise". see if it was on my rex, i would probbaly just pay for it since i have a TBE, and clearly know im gulity for it. but i ain't gonna spend $190 on a stock exhuast system to get ticket by some dumb cop
You already got the fine? I had to wait 3 weeks before they sent me any information on the ticket. What is the charge, or really what statute did you break? Is there some number on it for you? Like CRS xxx.xx.xxx.x.x?

-RYan

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah he already stated the fine for $75. i don't see that CRS... number anywhere. he just wrote what i wrote earlier under where it says "description of ordinance violation". looks like its section 0225.

Hey wrx21, when u went to court was the officer there? cause i think that is what im going to do, im going to take a picture of my pipe and muffler and show it to him. cause it clearly looks like it stock material, he didn't even look under my car to check out the piping too

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ry-Guy said:
Basically without any noise messuring device how can a cop prove that your exhaust is louder than stock.

-RYan
Fight the power on this one. Get the info from the muffler shop. They should help you since this type of crap could put them out of business.

When you get the officer on the stand ask him what was the decible reading of your exhaust. Then ask what the stock decible reading is for your specific model and year. Then ask the judge to drop the charges. The officer probably won't even show up for this one.

This is the dumbest law in the land. It needs to be fought everytime!

Attica! Attica!

sorry, I am under control now...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wrxnate said:
I got pulled over a wek ago in my 100% stock Evolution 8......

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68983

damn pig fukas
don't that cop feel like a horses ass after you rev it. that just shows that he pull you over base on the look of your car rather than actually hearing sounds from it. sort of like my situation. and i think you right, the wing on your car is pretty catchy. and with the all the people doing illegal races on the street, cops gonna start pulling more and more import cars over for ridiculous ****.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts