Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used dry ice on the top mount intercooler?
Or does a bucket of regular ice work just fine?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I never tried dry ice, but regular old H2O ice does the job. How much colder is solid CO2 than solid H2O? I think the fact that CO2 goes straight from solid to gas would hurt rather than assist intercooling. Having 32 degree water on the intercooler fins helps a lot.

-Jim

·
Registered
383 Posts
A guy at the track I go to uses it. His best times are from using it. And it is much colder than regular ice. How it's dispersion properties affect cooling I'm not sure. If you use plain H2O, aren't you driping water when you get to the line??

VV

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
VV,

Yeah, but the track is wet from the tire-cleaning water, so no one really notices.
I did have a small puddle under the car when I left the ice on the intercooler and some one crashed, so I didn't get to run with the ice. The top of the intercooler makes a great ice cube tray, though!

-Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
How big of a difference does the ice make on the intercooler? :confused: 1hp for every 10 degrees farenheight?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
How much colder is solid CO2 than solid H2O? I think the fact that CO2 goes straight from solid to gas would hurt rather than assist intercooling.

-Jim
Dry ice has a boiling point of -69.826 fahrenheit. I imagine that the huge temperature difference between dry ice and frozen H2O makes up for any inconvenience of dry ice skipping the liquid phase.

Rod

·
Registered
134 Posts
would it not be more easy to just leave a bag of ice on top of the intercooler that way it might not leak?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
BlownWRX said:
would it not be more easy to just leave a bag of ice on top of the intercooler that way it might not leak?
The bag would block air flow to the intercooler (the part it's sitting on), which would defeat the purpose of trying to cool it. Not to mention, it gets pretty hot under there...I'd hate to melt the bag or something.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Here's a thought for those of you who live in cold winter climates....on bitter cold days keep pour water onto and into(between fins) the intercooler periodically till you have just a block of ice on top of your engine...hehehe....just a thought

·
Registered
470 Posts
Dry Ice vs Ice

Dry ice has an advantage because the heat of evaporation is much greater than that of the heat of fusion and CO2 has a significantly higher HOE than H2O. Meaning that the state change from solid to gas or liquid to gas carries much more heat away than from a solid to liquid, and in comparison the actual changes in temperature within the states do very little. Thus dry ice should make it colder and do it w/ out the drip. Just my $.02 from a chemistry side.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Here's a thought for those of you who live in cold winter climates....on bitter cold days keep pour water onto and into(between fins) the intercooler periodically till you have just a block of ice on top of your engine...hehehe....just a thought
I hope that was a joke.. water expands when it freezes thus by doing this you may break your fins.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So how big of a performance gain would you get by using ice on the intercooler? :confused:

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Yeah actually my comment was more of a joke than a suggestion. Though if someone did try, I'm not sure ice expansion will break fins. Indeed, water is most dense at 4 degress Celius and then expands again at lower temps. However, ice in the IC is not enclosed in an airtight container like it would be in a can of softdrink for example. Most likely, the ice would expand and protrude out of the core to the open air. However, there is a possibility that fins could break should the water in the core closest to the air exposure would freeze first, leaving the deep core water enclosed and upon expansion, break fins. What would actually happen, I'm not sure. I would think freezing rate is faster on top and slowest on bottom(proximity to engine)..then again, it was a joke to begin with anyway.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hmm... well on the joking end lets go one better than dry ice and pour liquid Nitrogen onto the intercooler.. I wonder what that woudl do... Can air be to cold?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
MustGoFast said:
Hmm... well on the joking end lets go one better than dry ice and pour liquid Nitrogen onto the intercooler.. I wonder what that woudl do... Can air be to cold?
continuing the joke.... Pouring lN2 (-200C) on the intercooler would more than likely crack the intercooler itself due to the rapid cooling from the lN2. I don't think you would actually see the cracks, but I do believe hairline cracks would develop.

Along these lines, have you ever put a Snickers bar in lN2? Man is it good!:D

·
Registered
470 Posts
Never tried a snickers

I've only put raquet balls into it.. and then thrown them at something.. I find that quite funny.. Oh wait apples work well too.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ive only seen ice used on intercoolers at the drag strip, never at a road course event. The effects of the ice would run out so quickly under road course conditions that it wouldnt be worth the effort.

But as far as refular or dry ice, the dry ice will definitely cool faster and bring the intercooler to lower temps because of its rapid evaporation. Evaporation is caused by absorbing heat - thats why dry ice is so cold. Also, because of this same principle - dont touch it with your hands - it can sersiouly damage skin tissue.

That being said - I was considering dropping a few cubes of regular ice in the tank for the intercooler spray - i think that might make a longer term difference in a road course event. Thoughts?

Speed safely,

Joe
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Joe,

How long are the road coarse events (driving time)? It looks to me like you be better off just running straight water so as not to deplete the tank as quickly as it would with ice occupying some of the volume.

Rod

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well SCCA events have you running less that 2 minutes, often less than one. And you wouldnt be spraying the whole time. Plus, given the temperatures under the hood, and the fact that the air that would be occupying the space left when the water level went down would be rather hot, and the fact that as the water level depleated, the temperature of the water itself would warm, I think that most of the ice woudl melt by the time a run was over. I wont have a chance to attempt this until the fall when events begin again, but ill let you all know how it goes.

speed safely,

Joe
merlin916aol.com

1 - 19 of 19 Posts