Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a WRX sport wagon for cheap a few weeks back that had been caught in a flash flood and sat in about 18” of water. Been replacing almost everything electrical including the ECU, airbag ECM and dang ear ever relay and fuse below dash level. So far I have everything working in the cabin. I’m getting fuel to the rail but when I turn the car over it just cranks. Acts like it’s not getting spark. What’s d where should I start looking now? No water got in the motor so no worries there. I’ve put new plugs in it but that didn’t help. Any advice is appreciated and thank you in advance!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, everything has been checked. Motor is good. Turbo is good. I have air and fuel but no spark. I’m assuming it’s probably going to be a sensor. More than likely the crank position sensor. Any other sensor that would cause it to have no spark?

· Water.....sometimes waves
2,183 Posts
1st u said, "its like its not getting spark." Then u said, "but no spark." XJ asked if u verified no spark. I'll ask another way. Did u physically check to see if the plugs spark by pulling them, grounding with a jumper, cranking the engine, and see with your eyes the plug tip sparking????

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Semantics... I haven’t been able to verify spark, or lack of since I’ve been working alone but I’ll be working on it with a buddy tomorrow so I will verify. I’ve been a mechanic for 30 years just new to Subies so I know about how motors work and what sounds they make when certain things are missing (air, fuel or spark) so I was making an “educated guess” on the problem since I know it has air and fuel... again, I am new to the Subaru world so trying to educate myself whilst asking for some advice/help

· Water.....sometimes waves
2,183 Posts
semantics? are u kidding? It is not semantics at all. There is a huge and distinct difference between "thinking" there is no spark and actually "knowing" (verifying) there is no spark. It is like this in everything in life -- don't just guess at it when u can actually check something. And don't confuse the 2 (knowing vs. thinking)

Sorry, probably too harsh. But it irritates me because it makes it hard for someone else to help when the actual facts are not known and people guess at things and write in forums like this as if something is fact when it is not actual fact. sorry again.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, like I said before, I know how a car works - air/fuel/fire. If it’s getting air and fuel but still won’t fire then logic says there’s no spark. Now verifying that is what I’m trying to figure out. It’s an assumption. Nothing more. What I’m asking for is some thoughts on where to start looking, what to look for and how to check. Don’t need a holier then though attitude. If you can help, please do. If not, keep scrolling. Easy as that. Not trying to start an argument here, I just need some advice on what to do next. Subies are not my forte yet. I’m used to old school drag strip cars and hot rods. Those I know well. I’m still learning about these so just be patient and kind, please

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,792 Posts
Well, like I said before, I know how a car works - air/fuel/fire. If it’s getting air and fuel but still won’t fire then logic says there’s no spark.
Close but no. The wrong amount of fuel, air, or spark at the wrong time your in the same boat.

If I were you I would take it to a professional.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.